Faulty engine

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by spen123, May 27, 2019.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Evening, in January I have my van engine replaced due to oil pump failure, the garage sourced a replacement engine and fitted it for me, about 1000 miles later the cam chain snapped, the sent the engine back to where they got it from and had it fixed, I asked for a report on what had been replaced and what warranty was offered but they couldn't give me a report and simply told me any issues bring it back.
    Well 2 months later and only 4000 miles later the big end has failed.
    I want to know where I stand with them being responsible for the replacement or rebuild if the engine.
    I hope they honor there word and will fix it but if they don't I want to be able to talk with them but with the correct knowledge to back me up.
    Do I have a case against them if they refuse to fix it as I have no written warranty?
    The engine was paid on credit card.
    The van is a second hand financed van but personal finance from close brothers not a new van.
    If I have to pay for a new engine I may aswell scrap the thing

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No idea on your warranty but cam chain failure and big end failure aren't linked unless due to a lack of oil.

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Ino it's not linked, the engine oil level is fine, I think it's either been rebuilt badly and the big end shells poorly fitted or it's a high milage engine fitted and not a low milage engine as they told me it was.
    Either that or the oil is contaminated with diesel effecting the viscosity of the oil and causing poor lubrication

4. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

What van.

5. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Not true. If chain snapped and pistons hit valves the force would be sent down the con rod and onto the bigend bearings.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And the engine is written off

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

The cam chain snapped and was sent back for repair now I've got rod knock.

8. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Ford transit mk7 2.2

9. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

You may need to see a doctor about that.

10. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Correct it now is, due to it being put back together after the chain snapped without the big end being checked for damage caused by the chain snapping, a common problem on the 2.2 transits.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well I'll live and learn, usually if the valves have hit the pistons that damage alone is enough to write off the engine so repairing that without checking the big ends is stupid.

12. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

I agree it is stupid, but it happens when the pistons don't show much signs of damage, so the only top end is done.

If it was mine I would be looking for them to replace the engine with a known good one.

masterdiy likes this.
  13. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

And you have a good case against the dealer. It is well know there were dodgy oil pumps on the 2.2 power unit. I have not checked but I expect ford recalled or at least would replace the oil pump for free. At least when jlr fitted the 2.2 to the defender they offered free repair