Hands up if you have voted?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by goldenboy, May 23, 2019.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

So, the remainers are happy someone's taking Boris to court. Wonder how they'll feel when arch remainer Tony Blair is taken to court on the same charge ? Now he did mislead the government of the day ( and we all know it)

Baxi Boy likes this.
  2. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Looks like leavers can't remember how many noughts on the end as it fits in with beliefs.

Actually it's a private prosecution and the judge decided that it should be heard in court as there is a case to answer. Seems that as it is a private prosecution it can simply be stopped some how or the other but the TV thinks that Boris will want to fight it. However he had no interest at all in answering questions and stopping it would probably cause a lot to think there is no smoke without a fire. He looked rather glum and there are aspects about the case that some posters here will need to read about. It also includes abuse of office. He may have a problem getting around that one.

Politicians should be squeaky clean and we all know from time to time they aren't.

Blair - did he phone up MI5 or what ever and ask them to jazz up a report or did some one in that area decide to do it. Any way that is totally off topic.

John
    -

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Am sure any court will have to be presented with what actually the U.K. does pay to the EU.
    That will be interesting to hear the arguments that develop.

4. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

I don't like the idea of sorting political arguments in court. It should be for other politicians to expose your false arguments. The problem is that the remain side have run out of them so it's now time to play the man instead of the ball. I see that the 'Businessman' taking Boris to court is one of Gina Miller's cronies. No change there.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  5. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

That's what I think as well. Actual figures, something they often play with eg n billion to so and so without specifying over how many years. The abuse of a public office can result in long term time in prison. That is a different matter, Some report will probably mention why. ;) I wont waste the tips of my fingers.

Legally it will be david against goliath anyway unless some very high end barister / brief decides to work for free. Can't see the man who filed it getting legal aid.

John
    -

Heat likes this.
  6. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

It was cooked up by Liar, Campbell & Bush.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

I thought it was Geriatric Spark’s bingo card.

goldenboy and Jord86 like this.
  8. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

You might as well have added "Snowflakes with handbags only need apply".

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Yes that is correct, I was just trying to point out the financial agreements that were made in the war concerning governments, not the bravery and sacrifice of the troops. It is clear that the USA government place or have placed, money over the life of their own people or soldiers. They entered the war for cash, look how long it took for them to decide to join in. The USA could have remained out of it and just hit at Japan for the Pearl Harbour fiasco that the USA allowed to happen.

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Nothing to do with Brexit but I recently read a book based around communications between Roosevelt and Churchill. Fiction true but generally people who write books like that do research them well. From that the USA was expected to come in at some point but stay out of it was very popular. It always takes time or events to swing public opinion.

Soldiers fielded by the 2 counties and deaths can be confusing. The UK fielded it's empire so numerically there isn't that much difference. Empire losses a bit higher than the USA. The other aspect is 2 theatres of war. Europe and the Pacific.. Numbers generally include both.

Money always came into war. Reparations. Best return comes via an unconditional surrender. Don't get into WWI on this subject as you would probably be disgusted. WWII who knows. Have things changed. Vaguely remember mention of the UK not getting it's fair share of rebuilding Iraq. No idea where the money comes from but would guess debt.

John
    -

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  11. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

My dad long gone now but fought in WW11 always reckoned that Churchill was aware of the imminent attack on Pearl Harbour but kept quiet to ensure the Americans entered the war

12. Dave Marques

Dave Marques Member

Well he told Stalin about Barbarossa.....................

13. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Stalins own troops also told him, guess you just can’t help some folk

14. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Chances are all countries were aware it could happen - that's what spies etc are for.

John
    -

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

ajohn and dinkydo, Thanks John for the agreement on the cash front, dinkydo, Churchill had access to the German communications and codes thorough Bletchley Park. he could not tell the US, or if he did the US must have agreed not to pre emp the strike as this would have compromised the secrecy of Bletchley and their activities.

16. Broon

Broon Active Member

It was mentioned that politicians should debate each other and have their points proved wrong. There is several issues with this...Figures are easily manipulated and this gets done quite often the other issue is that even when they are proven wrong some people will still believe them for example it was proved the day after the result that leave lied about the 350 million a week more on the NHS. Farage himself admitted it. Remain were misleading with how a no vote would impact. The damage hasn't been as bad yet although it definitely has had an impact price rises etc...

Their are two main points from this tho Remain were using economist figures of what could happen and they probably chose the ones that showed the biggest possible impact to make people scared to leave. As we know this didn't work but that bus was a blatant lie they knew that they couldn't guarantee that money but slapped it on a bus anyway.

In my opinion Remain can't really be touched as most of their figures were based on what ifs and worst case scenarios. How ever it does depend how the worded it. Leave lied completely knowing what they were saying wasn't going to happen.

I suppose they could also blame the government for that as well 'We promised the people that money you give to the EU would go to the NHS. So you better deliver'

17. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

What would that look like if titled "Extreme left wing indicators and warnings"?

18. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

That’s easy. Let’s look at documents from 1950s USA.

[​IMG]

Note the random capitalisation and inappropriate use of ellipses. I wonder if Senile Sparky wrote this.

19. Dave Marques

Dave Marques Member

The sad fact is, Brexit has split the country like nothing before. However it ends up, it will take the country a generation to get back together.

20. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

"In my opinion Remain can't really be touched as most of their figures were based on what ifs and worst case scenarios. How ever it does depend how the worded it. Leave lied completely knowing what they were saying wasn't going to happen."

So did the then Chancellor George Osbourne tell the truth about what would happen if we voted to leave then?
    Boris surely won’t be the last politician to get marched into court to explain himself. Next in the dock, surely, will be George Osborne for his claim that a vote for Brexit would result in unemployment rising by between 500,000 and 800,000 within two years (in the event unemployment fell to a 45 year low). And what about Nick Clegg who claimed in 2016 that the brief disappearance of Marmite from the shelves in 2016 in a contractual dispute between the manufacturers and Tesco was a foretaste of food shortages to come if we leave the EU without a trade deal? Both claims might struggle to stand up to examination that they were based on sound facts and reasoning. If we are going to conduct politics in the courts there is really no end of possibilities, but it is clear who would have the upper hand: people with the funds available to fight such cases… We exempt politics from laws which protect us from commerce for a reason – if we fought politics in the courts we would hand huge power to the wealthy. It is the Left, at present, which seems keenest to use the courts to further their aims. But ultimately the winners would be billionaires and multinational corporations.

Baxi Boy likes this.