Velux Window Cost

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Colin Finney, May 25, 2019.

1. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I'm pretty sure my brother had fire door fitted throughout the house. From my last visit I don't think the velox windows were changed but a step had been added, one or two of them can't remember. All so he could sell the place with the extra bedroom the loft space provided. Otherwise it would have been priced one bedroom less. When he bought it the room was counted as a bedroom. Crazy world. :) Makes me wonder how we would get on, 1911 house, 3 floors and top partially into the roof space and some loft over that, Semi so a kick panel into next door on the top floor, added so the previous owner could rent the room - bed sit for students. She lived in the rest of the house.

John
    -

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I received a flyer today from a supplier - Fakro windows (780 x980) for £180 including VAT and a free roof flashing kit :eek:

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I'm in the market for 3 new roof windows of roughly that size for my garage to granny-flat conversion. Who was the flyer from?

4. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Think about the need to open/close these windows. Now is the time to add cables if you are in the market for electric control. You can if you wish buy a chain drive or another type of control or buy the window with it already fitted. I fitted a chain drive to ours a few years back, controlled by a rocker switch, was worth doing, saves the need for a long pole in our case.

5. rogerk101

That's another reason I prefer Fakro ... their opening handles are at the bottom so usually within easy reach ... unlike Velux, whose handles are at the top, so sometimes need a pole or chair to reach.

6. Colin Finney

Colin Finney New Member

The loft will not be classified as a habitable space as max headroom is only 1.5meters. I am a bit concerned how building regs will view it and if I will get sign off. Access will be by a vertical ladder attached to a wall. Window will be directly above ladder as this improves access height from 0.8 meters to 1.2 meters.

Its primary function will be as a sleeping platform but I may have to classify it as a storage platform to get sigh off.

Attached Files:

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A "sleeping platform" may well be classed as a habitable space by the BCO especially in terms of fire regulations

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Selco

9. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Still curious about these cheap windows and building regs. Thinking back it seems for loft conversions these types must provide ventilation. I get the impression it's built in. That isn't what I want them for. We have a pitched roof running back to the main house wall leaving a recess to the lounge. North facing and the idea is to get more light in there. At some point it may have a bit of an extension added to form a sort of garden room that I'd rather not have to seal of from the house with french windows. ;) I'd have to make them. Currently the recess is completely open so could fit anything. If the mini extension goes on it will have it's own opening windows. Can't call it a conservatory as insufficient glass area and don't want that style of roof anyway.

So as the cheap windows are ok on U values but have to be opened to give ventilation. Would they be ok for my use? Actually I'd rather they didn't open at all but when I look at items like that the prices for some reason rocket up to daft levels. One thing I don't want in them at all is built in venting that can't be shut off The usual skylights don't meet building regs on U values.

The other thing about the 2 windows screwfix offer like this is no fitting dimensions are available. :mad: Wonderful. They are always available for any other window I have looked at. Important as I need to fit in with existing rafters.

John
    -

10. rogerk101

I have fitted dozens of roof windows and have never managed to fit one without cutting at least one rafter. Most rafters are at 400mm centre spacing so what kind of window would fit between them?

11. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

New use no need to cut rafter as 600 so sum windows straight in

12. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

With windows around say 550mm wide I would need to cut one rafter for each window fitted. When I look at the details on various windows there is the actual frame size and a spec for the amount of space around that. They are on 356mm centres. Looks like 550mm would fit or cut 2 rafters and fit wider. That would leave a gap of just over 1000mm, not enough for windows over 1m wide and rather a lot more than 780mm which seems to be the other available size. The cheapo screwfix one are 450mm wide. That may fit in with 400mm centre rafters and might even need that to install. A number of them may be an option supports arranged to suite. I have a 1.6M run of roof less lead flashing at the top to get the height in and rather large flat concrete tiles on it.

So I need details of installed sizes what ever I fit. Flashing as well.

;) All rather annoying. If I had done this years ago I would have used glazing strips, cut to size glass and secondary glazed it,

John
    -

13. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

That's another thing I am not clear on - why some say a gap around the window's frame. :) I'd have thought the main requirement was that they went in and that the flashing can be fitted.

John
    -

14. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Selco June deals have centre pic 780x980mm with free flashing kits for 149
    Cairo look them up delivery free

15. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

dont forget to double up rafters ever side of window is that price plus vat for roof window

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  16. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Axis90 seems to be the best bet for me due to height. They do some 550x780 lacquered or pvc. They seem to design for a max gap, 30mm and the flashing doesn't extend in the same way as some but they expect people to have roofing felt around so taller may be ok as well. They need to be low on the roof for light to get well into the lounge so not sure if extra height would help much.

I read about doubling up the rafters. Shouldn't really be appropriate in my case as not house roof. The tiles run up 1.6m to the wall of the house. No problem doing it anyway.

It would be sensible to leave the first run of tiles untouched, mostly covered with lead flashing anyway, that takes at least 300mm of the max height of the window. Then there need for tiles at the bottom running into the gutter. 780 or 550 x980 might fit. 1180mm tall, ;) don't know. Then if the extension goes on the slightly pitched roof on that needs to be higher than the existing guttering to save pipes running all over the place. 100mm. 50/50 slope and height or so would do but that takes up space as well.

Another problem. There is a 1st floor window above this which we are having replaced. I asked for just transom windows but was told no have to have the usual opening windows for fire escape. I assume those can't be directly over a roof window. Might be odd really as the room this window is in has 2 doors, one to the rest of the house and another to an en-suite that does have suitable windows. No problem just having transom windows on the ground floor. Not happened for some time now but we have had bandit problems in the area, including our place. People could climb up onto the the roof the roof windows are going in.

John
    -

17. ginger tuffs

when you cut out rafter to put windows in you are weaking roof that is why you should always double up

18. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

True but in my case there is just one row of tiles above the window - not metres of them.

John
    -

19. ginger tuffs

its the weight of window you are adding to roof that causes rafter to bow but if you are happy carry on

20. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I said no problem doing that anyway not that I wasn't going to it. I just questioned the need in my case. Be interesting to weigh the tiles that come off and compare with the weight of the window. Plus this isn't a main roof.

Don't suppose that anyone else will have my particular set of problems but the best answer so far seems to be Velux. They do one 114cm wide by 70cm high. Looks like I can get that for £300 pity about rather expensive flashing. That works out cheaper than 2 smaller ones and should let more light in. I could get more height and spread of light in by increasing the pitch of the window but that would mean coming up with my own flashing of sorts.

John
    -