Velux Window Cost

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Colin Finney, May 25, 2019.

1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The gap is for tolerance when fitting and to provide slightly angled reveals to allow more light in once plasterboarded and finished. That’s why a proper roof window fit has the head trimmer level to the window head not square on, and the lower trimmer fitted plumb to the bottom of the window not square on.

2. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Thanks.
    The size I mentioned leaves plenty of room for angling plasterboard. Needs 3 rafters removing but also means there will be roof under the "fire escape" feature in the window above when we have it fitted. Also turns out from more use of a tape measure that I probably can't get a height over 700mm in. They are big flat tiles and I'd have thought the top row under the flashing will be nailed so tricky to do anything with those. Just to be sure I need the width of the Velox flashing. Probably have to phone Velox and ask.

:) Then at some point I have to wonder DIY or get some one in.

John
    -

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

If you remove you need to strengthen so double sides top and bot

ginger tuffs likes this.
  4. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

What gives with Velox's next generation windows. The video's show a number of flashing items including an insulation collar that come in one box with some parts built into the window itself. The site I priced it on suggests an SK01 flashing kit for flat tiles which doesn't seem to contain all of the parts shown in the installation videos.

They also do a 94x55cm window, even lower.

John
    -

5. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Actually I might find that I need to do more than that and mentioned earlier on that I knew that the rafters should be strengthened.

John
    -

6. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Think I have solved that myself. If I price it up on Velox's site and select EDP flashing they sell window with flashing included. No options for insulation etc. So a question to ask the supplier ;) why doesn't it come with it. It looks to be the simplest flashing available so probably needs a bit more thought installing it. Catch looks to be care cutting the existing membrane or adding to it.

Maybe some one has installed their EDP type and can comment.

John
    -

7. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Yes plus 20% tax

ginger tuffs likes this.
  8. Ben-dragonglass

Ben-dragonglass New Member

Here's one a bit over that does state not habitable which I read as not heated as sometimes they put it that way ,dragonglass

9. lilla_donat

lilla_donat New Member

Hi guys, we just bought a house and started a complete renovation. My question would be, based on your experience, which brand should we choose to replace the roof windows, velux or fakro? We want to choose from here.