Aeg Lifetime Service Agreement

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by david radley, Jun 3, 2019.

1. david radley

david radley Member

About 11 yrs ago I bought a AEG drill which had a Lifetime Service Agreement and free batteries for life. AEG (I believe now owned by TTI) are now not honouring this as they say they can no longer get hold of a needed replacement part. Although they have offered a replacement drill, this would not be covered by the LSA. Anyone else had similar issues?

2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

How much was this drill out of interest? Seems like a very good original deal that.

3. david radley

david radley Member

It was £150. Very good deal which is why they seem to want to get out of it

Dam0n likes this.
  4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

"Although they have offered a replacement drill",

Take it & run, as long as it comes with batteries. (IMO)

quasar9 and david radley like this.
  5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Blimey you dont want much do you.

11yrs use and they are going to give you a new one. Sounds like a good deal.

What make is the new drill? How many batteries etc?

6. david radley

david radley Member

Milwaukee m18blp2 with 2 batteries

7. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Lifetime agreement only refers to the manufactures stated expected lifetime of the product. Eg they may specify the lifetime of drill is 5years. Therefore if the drill breaks down etc during this lifetime period they will honour the lifetime guarantee. Lifetime guarantee is not your lfetime or that of any person. It relates to the expected lifetime of the product. If you refer to the guarantee it should state this in T&Cs. Personally i would accept their offer.
    Regards.

Astramax likes this.
  8. david radley

david radley Member

It doesn’t state that at all in the t&c. I don’t believe that is the case either as a LSA would then have no value and therefore not be attractive to consumers. It would then just be the same as a warranty.

9. david radley

david radley Member

I appreciate this is Ridgid tools although I think they have some connection with TTI. But their t&c’s state that it is the lifetime of the original purchaser

Attached Files:

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Whats in the t and c section of your contract though.

What was the initial purchase price of the drill.

11. david radley

david radley Member

Purchase price was £150, although I think this is irrelevant. The t&c’s for mine don’t specify what is meant by lifetime

12. david radley

david radley Member

Attached Files:

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Reading that, I would say you have a good arguement for it to be your lifetime. There is nothing that seems to imply a limit of any sort and it does specify it is applicable to the original purchaser. The paragraph that includes: "... entitles the original purchaser of ... ... to a lifetime supply of free ... " links purchaser and lifetime together.

You may have a fight, but they made teh original offer and you accepted it - that becomes a contract. They can buy you out, however you have the right to accept or reject any offer for early termination.

14. david radley

david radley Member

I appreciate all the comments, will be interesting to see how it all turns out

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do they want the old drill back as an exchange item?

16. david radley

david radley Member

They have it at the moment....i assume they will keep it if they replace it or pay me off

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Accept an up to date exchange as long as it's equal to or better than what you already have.

david radley likes this.
  18. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Tell them you want a Hilti with 56 batteries or you're not accepting.

Out of principal I think you should keep pushing them. They were happy enough to take your money all those years ago. Keep us posted

david radley likes this.
  19. david radley

david radley Member

Thats what i’m thinking

20. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

My power devil from Tesco has packed up wonder if I can get a 36volt Hilti with batteries :)