Opinion of plastering job, please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kamilla Gallai-Dinc, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Kamilla Gallai-Dinc

Kamilla Gallai-Dinc New Member

Hi All,

I would like to ask for your advise, we had a plasterer to skim a small room (all walls and ceiling) and I am not sure if it is all good, but I don't want to complaint unless I am right, maybe it is just not what I expected.
    The walls are smooth, but we have removed the skirting boards for him and the square ventilator so he can work easily.
    The wall wasn't in a good condition behind the skirting boards, but he hasn't touched it at all.
    Where we removed the old ventilator, the wall was crumbling around it. He has done some touch up but I bought a new plastic standard size ventilator and it doesn't cover the whole around it. (Also it isn't square).
    Also, he has used those metal corner "things" (sorry don't know what it is called) but in one place around the window, where you can actually see it straight away, I think he didn't cut it properly as it has left a not nice looking gap.
    Am I being picky?

Thank you, Kamilla IMG_7760.jpg IMG_7764.jpg IMG_7759.jpg

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not a tidy job.. Imo. I would of sized up vent hole and skirting height as I was skimming..

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its a bit agricultural. Not great.

Seen worse though.

How much did you pay and where did you get him from?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Chuckatrade :(

As goldenboy has already mentioned....seen worse in fact far worse, skirtings will cover wall/floor and a little bit of making good here and there will soon have it looking smart. ;)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  5. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

No disrespect but anybody could have done a better job with the back of a shovel.

As said "a little bit of work will have it looking right" :p:p:p, that little bit of work will take longer then they did to do that mess.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Have seen work a lot lot worse than that and a lot lot better.

I wouldnt be happy with it but it depends what the price is.

Its rough for sure but by the time a vent cover is on and the skirtings are on a bit of tidying and it will be better. Not great.

Jord86 likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What's your trade DIYLoser? let me guess an 'Alarmist', I stand by my reply a little bit of work will have it looking right!......................see you at the address with your wonder shovel! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Jord86 likes this.
  8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There are things that are just technically wrong like incorrect connections, incorrect plumbing fittings etc and then there are just examples of poorer quality work.

This falls into the poorer quality bracket. Probably a relatively quick job, not booked in months in advance, off checkatrade etc.

There are different skill levels in all trades.

Echoing Astra, what is your trade DIYloser?

You love digging people out, whats your own skills.

Astramax likes this.
  9. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Digging people out. Not sure what you mean, but to suggest this is anything but rubbish is laughable, when you have plastering done you shouldn't have to do anything to it before its 1st coat of sealing paint.
    Edges around openings might be a little rough, but here they are an embarrassment to the trade, not to mention the reveals.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Whats your trade? Couple of times you have dodged that question now.

I have said its poor and I wouldnt accept it.

But I have seen much much worse.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you think the finish from every spread is like glass you are having a laugh.

Great ones like the couple I use are superb. Thats probably only the top 20%. If that.

And as for reckoning anyone could do better with the back of a shovel. I couldnt. I cant plaster to save my life but I spend a lot of time around and about plastering.

Two weeks ago I had three plasterers prepping separate jobs for me on the same day. Two superb for gucci jobs, one so so for a budget scramble.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The job is not top notch and it isn't bottom notch either but is salvageable with some remedial work, work that wouldn't set the alarm bells ringing.

Message to op...what area are you located?

13. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Every picture provided by the OP shows a very good example of terrible plastering.
    Its a mess.
    Some would accept it as 'bearable' and think nothing more about it.
    You have quite rightly questioned the standard of work Kamilla, it certainly isn't to an acceptable standard at all.
    You could, as already stated, spend a few hours filling and sanding to drag it up to standard, or you could give the 'plasterer' a call and see if he's willing (or able) to rectify his shoddy work.

The third option would entail finding a proper plasterer to skim over the lot.

Hopefully the guy who dun it comes back with his tail between his legs and sorts it out.
    Good luck.

Kamilla Gallai-Dinc and Diyloser like this.
  14. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Thank you.

Im beginning to think that this isn't so much a trade forum but a bodge it and leg it one judging by the remarks above.

I get asked what my trade is?? As if that matters.
    A blindman and his dog could see that this job is RUBBISH and if it was carried out by a trades person then they should hang up their trowels and buy a shovel.

15. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

I haven't dodged the question, it is off no concern of yours, my ability to surmise that this job is rubbish comes for being blessed with eyes, something clearly you and others haven't got.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You have no idea, absolutely no idea.....you have just insulted many members of this forum..........wise up boy!:rolleyes:

17. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

No!!
    If you think thats acceptable you need to ask yourself what your level of work is like, me on the otherhand say it as i see it and it's RUBBISH.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't be insulting you have no idea about me or my standard of work. Perhaps you will offer to put it right then with the back of your shovel.

19. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

I have all the evidence i need by your posts above.

As for the back of a shovel, i think anybody could have done as good a job as this with one.

Are you a decorator by any chance.?? If so i can see why your think it was ok, as it offer you an extra income putting right that RUBBISH job.

Me on the other hand would expect and in fact demand it done right 1st time, if it wasn't then the trade walks, not enough time in my life to be messing with chancer.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member