Advice about TP-Link Power Adaptors

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paul Blackburn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Does anyone on here know anything about TP-Link Power Line Adaptors as I need to get some but there are so many different types so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Run Cat5e or Cat6 cable instead - cheaper and much more reliable.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1

Would go for Cat 6 out of the two.

4. Pollowick

Could argue both ways for te rest of today! Cat5e, properly done will support 1Gbps, is smaller in size, more flexible and half the price. For a single point to point in a house - Cat5e will normally be adequate. I have a large number of network points cabled here and all will support 1Gbps - except most of the PCs can only handle a sustained 700Mbps.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:D

Agree.

Cat 6 has a higher data transmission rate, plus less crosstalk as it has a higher twist rate to Cat 5e.

About to buy a new motherboard for AMD Ryzen & it has AQUANTIA 10GbE BASE-T connection.:eek::)

Just make sure whether Cat 5e or Cat 6, it's solid copper cable, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) cable,which is inferior.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  6. Thanks for the quick replies but as I am not a computer expert how do I Run Cat5e or Cat6 cable at present we have two laptops but both are upstairs away from the router mine is in what was a childs bedroom now my office with no phone line my wife uses hers in the bedroom and the phone socket is at the other side of the room.I thought I could get two sets of TP-Links and connect the laptops to the mains circuits using ethernet cables.Are Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cables.Thanks again

7. Pollowick

Yes, Cat5e and Cat6 are Ethernet cables.

I assume the router is located by te main socket.

Buy a twin RJ45 socket and install that close to the router. Run two Cat5e (or Cat6) cables from there to the desired locations upstairs and install a single RJ45 socket at each of those points. Terminate the cables at both ends, then link to the router and computers using patch leads.

You could also fit a Wirelss Access Point (WAP) on one of the extensions and provided you go for one with additional outputs connect into that too. Or fit a small 4/5 port switch and have printer, NAS, PC and more connected.

8. You are suggesting I run two ethernet cables from the router to two rooms upstairs.there would be quite a bit of work involved in that surely.Would it not be easier and probable cheaper to connect one powerline adaptor to the router and two adaptors upstairs one to each laptop both plugged into two 13amp sockets with pass through so the sockets can still be used.I would need three adaptors if I can get a set of 3 or a set of 2 and a single one.

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Powerline adapters are generally rated according to their throughput, and some have built in wireless too. I have some Devolo jobbies, can often buy them second hand on fleabay.

10. Pollowick

If running cables is difficult then yes powerline is an alternate although I would always recommend network cabling.

One commone problem with powerline is that having them on different rings or radials, or extension leads, or different breakers, or different CUs is that there can sometimes be problems with connections.

I have a set of BT Broadband Extenders 1000, the predecessor (without power feedthrough) to https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-flex-1000-kit-080219-BB4X.html and they worked well. One on a circuit on te main CU, the second in a shed with 50m of SWA cable, two CUs and a Henley block to cope with!

11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just put in BT broadband 600 extenders for a Smart TV and they work fine for what I need. No dropout or buffering on video. Quick (basically just plug in) and easy solution and relatively cheap. Not recommended to use on an extension but I have the one next to the router on an 4 way extension with no problems, it is on the same same ring though.

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Buy mesh setup if you can't get cables up to pcs

13. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

I'm no tech, but needed to extend the range from our router. I have a duel TP Link extender plugged in that has done the trick. Our router in down in the hall, our pc is up in our office, one floor above. This Link will show the signal strength from the router thus suggesting the best place to plug it in. We don't game or stream, just normal work use via wifi to pc and iPads.