Electrical Inspection Report

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tasos, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Tasos

Tasos New Member

Hi
    Just had a NAPIT electrical Installation report on my property. Says that washer and dryer are on same 13AMP double socket and requires segregating across 2 single 13AMP sockets on the same circuit!
    Anyone know if this is new regulations because just doesn't make sense.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Just common sense really, unless you want a potential fire then they need to be plugged into different sockets.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Some double sockets are only rated 13A for pair, in the main specials like with filters, I seem to remember the spec for double sockets is 20A but some are rated 26A it is all down to the make.

A tumble drier can take the full 13A and should not really be on same socket as a washer/drier but a washer only takes 13A for a very short time so in the main is OK.

However I question if having too high current items in same socket is in the remit for an EiCR?

Using a grid plate and two independent sockets would mean neither are loaded over their rating and they are in the same back box as before just double the connections and I fail to see how 2 sockets in same plate is any different to a double?

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

It would help if you code provide the actual wording of the Observation and the Code the inspector gave it. I ask this as it is not the within the remit to make recommendations only to list non compliances with the current regulations.

5. Tasos

Tasos New Member

Hi code is
    C2 Potentially Dangerous
    Wording in the report is: Washer Dryer both into 13a double socket - requires segregating across 2 single 13a sockets

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

longboat likes this.
  7. Tasos

Tasos New Member

Yes that is what I thought and the electrician that put the socket in 3 years ago. He cant understand why it is potentially Dangerous.
    The fact that the inspector wants to charge me £75 to segregate raises questions.

8. peter palmer

Maybe technically it shouldn't be noted but he has done you a massive favour by pointing it out and you want to dismiss it out of hand because it will cost a bit of money to rectify, sounds a bit silly.

Also why are you having an inspection on 3 year old wiring if you don't mind me asking?

Question for other sparks, an EICR is meant to be a common sense report for ordinary people, not a list of technical mumbo jumbo, whats wrong with pointing stuff like this out. Would you code a socket in a bathroom? after all its the bath thats the problem, not the socket.

9. peter palmer

Because a washer and a dryer plugged into the same socket will eventually cause the socket or plug or both to melt, I've seen it a few times over the years. The worst bit is getting the melted plug out of the socket to get to the screw to change it.

10. Tasos

Tasos New Member

Its not the money!!
    This is a let property that we had fully refurbished 5 years ago fully re-wired and new fuse box with a perfect EICR report by a qualified electrician. If they are questioning the inspectors reasons regarding the socket why shouldn't I ?

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Am I missing something?

If someone has wired them up into a single plug it isn't dangerous, it would only be dangerous if the items where both connected directly to the ring "sans" fuse.

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The EICR should be worded to be understood by the person ordering it. The important point is that it should not recommend solutions just state the issue (based on a regulation breach).
    Nothing wrong with pointing out stuff not covered by the EICR - I always test smoke detectors, point out lack of sockets, say that old CFL lamps might be better replaced with LEDs etc.
    If the socket was within 3m of the bath or shower ( a breach of reg 701.512.3 ....socket-outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.)

13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You are right to question it. All you need to do is place a call to NAPIT and ask for clarification.

14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

To put a note OK, but one can't code it, as nothing to do with installation. My washing machine and tumble drier have been in a double socket for around 25 years, may be some time in future it will go wrong, but 25 years is a reasonable time.

15. peter palmer

A socket from 25 years ago could probably handle it, would you plug them both into a 99p Chineese socket.

16. Tasos

Tasos New Member

Can I just point out that the socket in question is an MK 3 year old double socket British Made.

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

@Tasos can you confirm, are they connected to the same plug or into a fused connection unit or somehow just connected directly to the ring?

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Right so both the dryer and the washer are plugged into one double socket, one plug each?

19. peter palmer

Yes I know about the regs for sockets in bathrooms, however a socket in a utility room is just a socket but its plainly obvious a washer and a dryer will be plugged into it, especially if there is a gap for a washer with plumbing and a dryer with vent hole etc. so I'd say its not designed correctly. My point was a socket in a bathroom is just an ordinary socket in a room, take the bath away and its just another room, nothing changes electrically, however you code the socket because of where it is not what it is.

20. Tasos

Tasos New Member

Hi
    Washer and Dryer are plugged into a 2 gang MK socket outlet connected to the ring main.
    one plug on each