Using PVA to seal painted dry wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Pjclarke1978, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Pjclarke1978

Pjclarke1978 Member

Has anyone used PVA mixed with water to seal existing painted dry wall to seal the walls before applying new emulsion?

Recommend or not?.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

DON’T DO IT (in a nutshell)

If you wish to seal use Zinsser Gardz

But ....... why do you want to seal before applying fresh coat of emulsion ?

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Exactly my thoughts. Why on earth would you want to seal it?

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Not. Stabilising solution would be better if there's a problem or possibly one of the Zinsser products.

5. Pjclarke1978

Pjclarke1978 Member

From a previous post I used crown brilliant white emulsion for a base for planned top coat to come later. But the finish of the white is chalky. If you run hands across wall I get a chalky residue on hand. Heard you can seal with PVA. Failing that I'm going to have to sand back the crown brilliant white which is going to take ages.

6. Pjclarke1978

Pjclarke1978 Member

Forgot to add the brilliant white finish comes if I sponge it.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I replied to your previous posts on another thread and gave you good advice at that time, If you have heard you can seal the wall with PVA do it, then ask us why the emulsion isn't adhering to the PVA wall. Simply wash off the emulsion, seal the wall with Zinsser GARDZ or Zinsser Bullseye 123 and your well on the way. Did you contact the Crown Tech Dept re paint problem?

WillyEckerslike likes this.