Socket fitted to 4mm cabinet backing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sociable Psycho, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Sociable Psycho

Sociable Psycho New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit concerned because the electrician has mounted a double socket on the back of the kitchen cabinet. The backing is only a 4mm board as a normal kitchen base unit. The socket is NOT attached to the thicker 18mm back brace. The unit is only 300mm wide.
    The socket is for the built in gas hob and oven. The wire comes out of the wall behined the oven, then is run through the edge of the oven unit and the 300mm unit and enters the socket from behined the cabinet and through the 4mm board.

Is it safe to mount the socket on this thin board? surely the screws holding the socket would or could come loose.

Some expert advice would really be appreciated as I can't question the electrician.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I do it all the while, what do you think is going to happen? will you be unplugging it every night before bed.

3. Sociable Psycho

Yes, I use my oven (maybe once evey 10 days), and I'm in the habit of turning off & unplugging appliances as a safety precution, and to save on electricity. Plus the socket does get knocked when I move items in or out?

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Did you tell the sparky you wanted to unload that cabinet every night and unplug the cooker each night.

I think you are making a mountain out of a nonexistent molehill.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You should not locate a socket that needs regular access in the back of a cupboard.

nigel willson likes this.
  6. peter palmer

Ordinarily the socket for the hob doesn't need regular access unless you are a bit overcautious in day to day life, might have been worth mentioning that at the time.

7. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Communication:D such a wonderful tool:D
    I always consult with client as to what & where. If possible will provide & locate as customer requires. In some circumstances will advise as to why some requests are not possible& come to a compromise.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Have your electrician come and fit an isolator switch for that socket somewhere where you can persue your compulsion for switching things off.

BUT, REMEMBER:

• A gas hob uses ZERO electricity except for making a spark to light the gas.
    • Each time you restore power to most electric ovens, you will have to reset the clock, or it isn't going to work. They are not meant to be switched on and off. Their power consumption, when not being used, is miniscule.

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The money spent on getting an electrician in will never be recovered in electricity cost savings turning an oven clock and gas hob off when not used.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Doesnt really need regular access though.

OP should have raised it in advance.

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

What about an emergency

12. peter palmer

Well if its an emergency then I'd probably move the pan.

13. Sociable Psycho

Your all missing the main question.
    Is it safe to attach the double socket to a flimsy 4mm board? Usually sockets would be attached to more solid and thicker bases EG brick, plasterboard.

If it is safe, would it need specially designed screws?

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Perhaps the spark has thought ahead and placed a piece of timber behind the thin back panel to give a greater depth of fixings ? perhaps he hasn't ?

Are the cabinet backs just bendy hardboard or possibly slightly thicker mdf ?

Give the socket a gentle-ish few tugs and/or plug and unplug appliance a few times
    Does the socket seem loose to you ?

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Does it have a back box?

As mentioned, unless you specifically stated your ocd prior to the job, then it is pretty much standard practice.

Jord86 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

To be truly pedantic in answering your question it is safe because even if you pull the whole lot away from the back of the cupboard, you're (note spelling) not going to expose any bare wires as they will still be securely fixed into the back of the socket.
    It is standard practice on the basis that these items get plugged in and left the until either the appliances or often the whole kitchen get replaced.
    It is a very simple fix to make the socket more secure should you choose to do so but I wouldn't expect to do it for free if it were me.

unphased and CGN like this.
  17. Sociable Psycho

There is NO timber behind the panel to give it rigidity. The panel is a standard 'bendy' board which slots into groves of the base cabinet. It was not designed to carry any weight, but to give rigidity to the whole cabinet.
    The socket is a standard surface mounted socket (about 40mm depth), but on testing by pluging and unpluging a few times it SEEMS secure. But I wounder if this would hold after a few years?

18. Sociable Psycho

It is a standard surface mounted socket. I have the same ones above the worktop attached to plastered brick wall.

19. Sociable Psycho

Thank you All for you replies.
    I think the overall consensus is that it IS considered SAFE.
    However, as I use the cabinet regularly as it's next to the oven I will keep an eye on the socket to make sure it does not come loose, and I will be extra carefull to make sure nothing accidently catches on the cable going to the plugs when I use the cabinet.

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Does it have a back box though?