New Van Newbie

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Hi all

As we're a family with children (and their bikes) a wife who is always at the garden centre with bags of compost etc I am looking to swap my 2014 VW Passat for a van, but I haven't a clue where to start.

Are there vans to definitely stay away from because of faults, rust issues etc? I have never bought a van so don't know what to look out for. My car is worth around £7k part x perhaps £8k privately. I can put £3-4k to it if need be. Would I get a half decent one for that price?

Oh, and I need 5 seats because of the kids.

Many thanks in advance
    Li

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Here's one thing you might not have realised before you rush out and buy one. Unless it's a 'car derived van', the speed limits are lower than for cars on certain A roads and dual carriageways. Nobody seems to take much notice though - especially Mercedes Sprinter drivers or the police (except one day a year when they publicise what they're doing just to make a point).
    I would have a better look at some of the people carriers if it's just for family use....

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You could probably find a nice pick up with cab seats for the money you have

4. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

What about a trailer for the Passat?
    Your extra 3k could buy you a decent fully enclosed box trailer.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

And I think you'd better check the insurance situation...
    I considered buying one some years ago when I had a building project at home where I was going to be doing a lot of the work myself... I thought a van would be useful for the period.
    A pal suggested I check the insurance situation, and sure enough because a van was considered a "commercial" vehicle the cost was significantly higher. I can't remember the exact numbers, (it was back in 2005), but it was enough for me to abandon that plan. And I only intended having it for the fews months of the project.

Good luck, anyway,

Regards,
    Cando

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Commercial insurance is a funny old thing. Hugely expensive when taken out first. Incredibly cheap when a few years in.

Just renewed my Relay. Fully comp, protected ncb, 10k miles less than £200.

7. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Thanks everyone. Not confident reversing a trailer s may look for a combi van of kinds. Thanks for the replies, food for thought.

8. Mike McCaffrey

Mike McCaffrey New Member

If you need any free advice on commercial insurance or commercial vehicle finance let me know - not looking to sell, just to help where needed.

Lijong Tao likes this.
  9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Tax is a fortune on vans as well compared to cars.

Mike McCaffrey likes this.
  10. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

I towed a caravan for maybe 10 years plus.
    All over Europe as well.
    Reversing at first was a nightmare.
    After some practice in an unused car park.
    I got better.
    Maybe give a HGV driver a few quid for lessons.

It does just take practice

Johnny M

11. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Light commercial rate is what 250 ish now?
    Some cars can be more than that

12. Mike McCaffrey

Mike McCaffrey New Member

Thats about spot on these days subject to certain variables

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

There is another thing to consider when buying a van that may be for dual use is the insurance. I own and only me drives my van, the insurance though in big letters says that only ME is insured to drive it. If it was a car with fully comp, then anyone can drive it of course (yes TPFT), but not a van. Unless you lay out a lot more for insurance, swapping drivers in a van (husband, wife, son , daughter) can be very expensive.