Stain from dripping shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by david radley, Jun 11, 2019.

1. david radley

david radley Member

Hi,

The shower has been dripping in a unoccupied property I look after for a couple of weeks. It has left a stain on the shower tray as shown in the photos. Does anybody know the possible cause of the stain?
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

mate, on the pictures I can't see shower tray at all

david radley likes this.
  3. david radley

david radley Member

Sorry my mistake

Attached Files:

4. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

oxidized copper

5. david radley

david radley Member

Why is it doing it? How do I stop it? Will
    It clean off? Thanks for your help

6. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

comes from your pipes (normal if not in use or if someone has overdosed soldering flux on the pipes ;) )
    possibly it comes from one of the shower joints- it might be mixer/shower outlet etc. you need to look for the drop stain on your chromes and you will find which connection is not tight- just re-seal it and problem solved
    cleaning off- hmm, if stain didn't penetrate too deeply you can try with soldering flux or brasso, but fist make a test on less visible edge of the tray if doesn't make any damage to it

7. david radley

david radley Member

Thanks for your reply

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Buy some cheap cleaning vinegar, apply a bit of it with a sponge, leave for an hour or so, and wipe off. It may need several repeats of this, but it WILL come off eventually without any damage to the chrome parts or the shower tray.

david radley likes this.
  9. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Would that work on a rust stain ceramic tiles too ?

david radley likes this.
  10. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If the tiles are even half decent, they won't be stained behind the glaze. The rust is most likely set in the limescale film that has grown onto the surface of the tiles. Get rid of the limescale with the vinegar and you'll be getting rid of the rust with it. It will most likely work, but it might not ... but it can't so any harm. Anything that gets harmed by cleaning vinegar is not worth having in a house anyway. The only exception to that is oak. Vinegar will darken oak considerably.

WillyEckerslike and david radley like this.
  11. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Thanks for the reply Roger, sounds like my tiles are not half decent then :( don't think there will be limescale as we have softened water and her indoors is pretty good at cleaning
    The problem originated from a screw (not stainless) attaching the soap dish thing to the wall, screw now stainless :D

david radley likes this.
  12. david radley

david radley Member

Thank you for replying