Junction box for 24v 5 wire LEDs

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Hans_25, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Any suggestions? Was thinking of using Wagos but wonder if there's something more suitable for connecting 5 core cable for RGBW LED strips? I have a point where I need to connect 3 x 5 core cables (splitting one into two). Could use connector strip/chocolate blocks but it'll be in the ceiling and not very accessible other than via a spot light hole.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen same done using item below.

Even found a Honeywell junction box used for 24v downlighters using 24v E27 lamps, some years ago.:eek:

upload_2019-6-12_12-30-23.jpeg

It's a Click Junction Box 15 Amp 10 Way PRW090.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I was thinking of the standard Wago boxes, but see there are XL/A versions that seem just the job.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The XL and XLA are slightly different - one is designed for the 221 series and the other for 222 so make sure you get the right one!

Hans_25 likes this.
  7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Yes thanks - I spotted that, now need to work out which connectors are best suited, it'll be small 0.75mm ish stranded cable. Been using the 222 series, but 221 might be better for this application.

8. Pollowick

What size wires? and solid, stranded or fine stranded? I believe the 222s go down to .08mm² whereas the 221s are .14mm² for fine stranded or .2mm² for ordinary stranded and solid. Or are you looking at much larger with high currents?

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

10. Pollowick

Hans_25 likes this.
  11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Cheers Mr P.

12. Pollowick

Are you buying from Farnell? To me they always appear expensive. For cable, I tend to use FS cables based in St Albans - and will do anything from 1m upwards ...

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Only chose Farnell as they had a decent selection, most 5 core 1mm cables are around £1/m, won't be buying much else from them. FS cables look like they have a good selection but there's no prices on the web site.

14. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

15. Pollowick

DO NOT use standard coloured mains cable for LEDS at 72v - always chance of a error being made. And do not use eath for signal/power

Give FS a call and get a price - you may also need either 5xblack (no earth) or 6way (with earth) and FS may fo it as either numbered or colour coded. Or maybe use 0.5mm LiYY cable available in 5 or 7 way.

Hans_25 likes this.
  16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've sent FScables an email, lets see what they come back with. Noted about use of standard coloured cables for ELV applications.

17. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Nothing yet from FScables. Looking at the different cable types, seems the YY control cable 0.75mm is probably best suited. Would get a 7 core cable, so can use 5 (black) cores for the RGBW LEDs and 2 x 3 cores for extending 3 white LEDS that need just 2 cables each, green/yellow coloured cable doesn't get used. Might need a bit of 3 core cable at the ends.

18. YY cables to not comply with BS 7671 for fixed wiring installations.

19. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Seriously, for 24 volts? What multi core cable should I be using then...what does comply? My spark said I could use pretty much any old cable.

This is 5 core LED extension cable which I found on Ebay just now, surely if this is allowable, then YY cable is too. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pin-RG...s-5-Colours-Wire-Extension-Cable/322290368808

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  20. If you want 7 core 3187Y.

Hans_25 likes this.