Mounting TV on Plasterboard with Cellotex behind

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deleted member 176520, Jun 13, 2019.

1. So I need to mount a TV on the wall its a 4k 49" TV, I have tried finding the studs but had no luck. The TV bracket comes with M6 bolts. Can anyone recommend something that I could use to fix the TV to the plasterboard and hold it in the Cellotex?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You will need to either cut out the plasterboard and fit ply behind the goggle box or fix through pboard and celotex into blocks behind.

koolpc likes this.
  3. The room was originally a garage, I don't fancy cutting the plasterboard. As the room is fully decorated. Is there a way I could fix into the Celotex?

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

No.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You need a solid backing to fix it to. You dont want it to come crashing down.

Squashrobinson likes this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If the celotex isn't too thick you might find that something like rigifix fittings will work. This will mean fixing into the blockwork as goldenboy suggested.

Deleted member 176520 likes this.
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Fix it properly.

Thats either to studs or to block/brick.

TVs have killed kids before when they have been bodged on.

Plasterboard is not strong enough to support a TV plus bracket.

Celotex has zero hold.

8. That is true.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Should be zero mess fixing a bit of ply.

Offer up tv.

Cut out plasterboard thats behind.

Fix plywood

Fix bracket.

Or even easier just drill through plasterboard and celotex and whack in long fixings.

10. I've got a TV on a wall upstairs that was fitted to a hollow wall, and it was using those metal rawl plugs, it's pretty solid. As I say I am trying to fix it properly, but I don't want to cut a hole in the wall to find a stud, I have tried the tapping on the wall to see if there is any difference in noise. But nothing. I have a Bosch Truvo, but that is only good for metal pipes, cables etc.

Ideally, I would rather drill into the Plasterboard and Celotex and fit longer fixings. Any recommendations on that?

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

TVs should not be fixed on Spits.

The one upstairs is dangerous.

You might feel its sturdy but its not.

Plasterboard had very little strength.

So many stories of children killed by failed fixings.

12. Any recommendations for long fixings?

13. I will have a look, its a garage originally, hopefully, the Celotex is not too thick.

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Try using a magnet to find the studs (it's actually the plasterboard screws/nails that it locates) however that won't work if the board has been glued on (increasingly common) or if there aren't any studs any way.

15. I will see if I can get a strong magnet. Or try those rigifix fixing that you recommend as they look good.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Drill through pboard and celotex till you hit brick. Then add on say 60-70mm for going into the brick.

I would use multimonti direct masonry fixings but long screws and brown plugs would be fine

17. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Big TVs aren’t that heavy these days, do you know the weight? If not look up the specs it will tell you. It may not be technically correct but I have a Panasonic 50” up in my study secured on plasterboard. I used about 8 x hollow wall fixings and ensured I got a nice tight fix. It also helps to get the slim wall brackets that way the TV stays close to the wall and all the weight is downward. Some will disagree but my TV is not going anywhere unless someone were to physically hang from it and that could be said about any fixings. My kids are grown up now but if I ever have grand kids I will ensure they don’t go near TV.

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I would prefer to be in the position of not having to worry.

For the sake of an extra 10mins install for me it makes sense.

There is a steady stream of stories about children being killed by falling objects.

Its not difficult to fix it properly.

19. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

I’m not worrying as I said it’s going nowhere. From memory think I used Fischer Duopower fixings along with the bolts that came with the bracket. I am by nature overly cautious, and if there was any doubt about the TV I would have it down straight away, but as I said it’s only like that if you can get really strong secure fixing.