BBC bias

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, May 13, 2019.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The TV licence includes radio.

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No it dosn't and hasn't done for years and years. No one needs a tv licence to listen to radio in the UK.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I stand corrected but you do need a licence to watch BBC on iPlayer or on catch up.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No you don't there either. Catch up is not a live tv broadcast, so needs no licence. iPlayer for the most part is not a live tv broadcast either. In fact, by it's very nature, technically iplayer is not live tv broadcast at all.

5. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

How do you convince the BBC that you don't watch live broadcasts and therefore should not pay the licence ?
    Not trying to catch anyone out, just wondering
    I view everything via my Sky subscription but i don't rate my chances of refusing to pay the TV licence

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You simply tell them you don't watch live tv and then cancel your licence.
    They will send you threatening e-mails a couple of years latter, just ignore them. They may even knock on your door a bit after you ignore them, "have you got a tv licence sir ?" answer "No i don't watch live tv broadcasts" answer"Do you mind if we come in and have a look ?" answer "yes i do, so clear off"
    That is all that anyone needs to do. They have no legal right to enter your house, they also have no way of knowing what you have been or even are at the time watching. TV detector vans were always a fake way of intimidating the population, they never worked then and they shure as hell don't work now.

CGN likes this.
  7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You don't need a licence to watch catchup stuff like ITV player etc but you do need a licence to watch catch up via iPlayer, it was an amendment a couple of years ago to the licence. The BBC ere hoping for a law requiring a licence for all catch up stuff but it fell short and just included iPlayer.

8. peter palmer

Pretty much the same way you convince the civil aviation authority that you don't fly 747s from Heathrow every day and therefore don't need to pay for a pilots licence.

Watching Sky still needs a licence if its live broadcasts like sky one and sky movies, you might be within the law if you only watch catch up via sky but its a bit of a dodgy area if you pay for a subscription.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  9. peter palmer

I wouldn't even do that., why should you? There are millions of companies that I don't use the services of that I've never bothered to tell them I don't need them, why should the BBC get special attention.

Everything you said is true as far as the "inspectors" go although I would say don't even say anything to them if they knock on your door, if anyone knocks on your door unannounced immediately ask them who they are and if it turns out to be TV licensing then just close the door without saying another word, no contact whatsoever is the best route by far.

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I stand corrected then PP. Although i doubt any of this rubbish has been tested in court yet.

11. peter palmer

They did claim to be able to sniff wifi packets out of the air to catch you using iplayer but its pretty much the same nonsense as the detector vans. 99% of all TV licence prosecutions come from people admitting to evasion on the doorstep. Do yourself a favour, sign nothing and say nothing, just a polite slam of the door.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Every year they send a demand to my workshop.

Every year I tell them there aint a TV

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I used to get threatening letters and even had a couple of visits.
    First visit I brought them into my flat so they could verify I don’t possess a TV.
    Second visit, I told them very politely to **** Off and to cease harassing me.
    Been over 10 years now without a visit or letter.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Don't know how true this but did a job for a lady and she had a visit from TV licence guy and she told me because she didn't have an aerial she didn't have to pay, she did have a TV though how true this is I don't know but she seemed very believable, as far as I'm aware you only a licence if you watch I player and watch live TV

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There also is apparently something you can disable on TVs that make them exempt from licensing.

16. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Disable the tuner!

Cando

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

In the old days of black and white tv licences rumour has it you could disable the colour function to save loads.

Just checked apparently you can still get b&w licences!

18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You would wonder who would want to watch black and white television?
    Unless you are a dog?
    Or from Yorkshire and a bit tight with money.

goldenboy likes this.
  19. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Afraid you do. It sometimes comes up and asks if the TV has a license. It's the TV that needs the license not what you watch on it.

John
    -

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For those watching in black and white the green ball is the one nearest the pink.