Draining System Help, Changing radiator for towel rail

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mirafin, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Mirafin

Mirafin New Member

Hi all, Im changing a radiator for a towel rail, my house is plumbed with 10mm plastic and the housebuilder left the wall a right mess behind the rad.
    So before i install the towel rail i need to remove the rad and make good the wall behind.
    As im changing the valves I know i need to drain the system, however do I need to drain the whole system or will I be able to get away with isolating all rads and then just draining the leg of water to the one im working on?

Seems logical to me but thought i'd check with someone that has more knowledge than me!

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Unless you can isolate the flow and return to/from this rad, then you'll need to drain the whole system down, at least to the level of the rad.

If you're simply taking off a rad, then you can use the lockshields to isolate and drain the water from the rad, but if the lockshields are coming off and you're working on the pipework then its a full drain down.

Mirafin likes this.
  3. Mirafin

Mirafin New Member

Yes the valves need to be removed, just didnt know wether if I isolated all the other rads in the system I could reduce the amount id need to drain and therefore reduce the refilling and bleeding later

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Possibly, if you isolate all the other rads at both valves, that will reduce the amount of water being drained. However it could make it difficult to successfully drain the system down due to airlocks so you could have plugs of water coming out while you're working! Easier to just drain down fully, open up air vents on rads to ensure everything is drained properly. When refilling add Sentinel X100 or Adey MC1 inhibitor.

Do you have a Magnacleanse fitted? If not its well worth looking into.

Mirafin likes this.
  5. Mirafin

Mirafin New Member

Thanks Hans, I have some demountable stop ends for while im working on the wall so dont see that being an issue.
    I have some MC1 at the ready for when I refill!

No, we dont have a magnetic filter at the moment due to space restrictions (I have an old powermax 155x and its huge!) However at some point in the next year we will be looking to replace the boiler so will fit a magnaclean pro3 sense at the same time

6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Is the system a sealed system (there will be a pressure gauge on the boiler fascia) or openvented ? If the radiator is upstairs,just locally drain the radiator your working on but do it super quick ;)

The 155x is a thermal store so expect some very hot water whilst draining :eek: