12 Point / Double Hex size?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by soabar, Jul 5, 2019.

1. soabar

soabar Member

I'm trying to figure out what socket size I need for some 12 point bolts, they have 120° corners so I'm assuming double hex rather than triple / XZN & the heads, point to point are 7.07mm across. I've has a look at the regular online fastener spec pages, but I'm not coming up with anything.

Dumb question, but are regular bi-hex sockets used with 12 point bolts or are they specific?

If it's of any use this is on a hermetic motor which I think originated in Europe.

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo.

3. soabar

soabar Member

Not mine, it looks like this without the recess;

[​IMG]

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12 point socket?

12 point socket dimensions
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Do you need to keep the bolts as they are ? You may be able to remove them with a mole wrench and then replace them with a conventional bolt

6. soabar

soabar Member

KIAB - Yes, it's 12 point but the corners are 120° rather than 90°(bi-hex, not tri-square).

sospan - not enough access for grips unfortunately.

7. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Whats it off.?

Need to work out in its metric or not first

8. soabar

soabar Member

The bolts are in a hermetic motor / pump, pretty similar to a fridge motor & they hold the manifold / chamber caps down. I think it's of European manufacture (no markings) & the other internal fastners are metric. The two black bolt heads at the top of this image (one has the pipe turned round it) look roughly similar;

[​IMG]

9. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Look to be either 8 or 10mm, a standard 12 point socket should be all thats needed.

10. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Yeah I’m used to 12 point bolts on automotive stuff that fits a normal 12 point socket. If it’s European assume metric. Standard 12 point socket set should fit?

11. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

It’s similar to the bolts used on Land Rover brake callipers. You should be able to find a socket that will fit, but you may have go through metric, inch, and BSW/BSF to find the best fit.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12 point spline socket which is different to a 12 point socket.

13. robertpstubbs

Multiply the point to point by 0.866.

0.866 is 1.732 divided by 2.

1.732 is the square root of 3.

A Land Rover calliper bolt is 12mm in diameter. The point to point size is 15mm. 15mm x 0.866 = 13mm. A standard 13mm socket fits the bolt.

7.07 x 0.866 = 6.12mm.

Try a 4BA socket which is 6.3mm.

14. robertpstubbs

Actually 1/4” isn’t much bigger at 6.35mm.

On the other hand you may get a 6mm socket on.

KIAB likes this.
  15. soabar

soabar Member

Thanks for the input folks.

It looks like it isn't metric after all, 6mm bi-hex is too small, 7mm too loose (I don't have any bi-hex sockets, but realised a bit late in the game that i've got bi-hex ring spanners.....). After looking at a bunch more online dimensional tables it looks like it is 1/4 as robertpstubbs has suggested;

7.07mm = 0.278" = 1/4 AF (across the corners).

16. robertpstubbs

Other sizes to consider are 1/16BSW (Whitworth) which is 0.256” / 6.5mm, and 17/64” (0.266” / 6.76mm).

Unfortunately the sockets in these small sizes are normally hex rather than bi-hex. Also they may not be currently made.

Old British manufacturers like Britool made them. These old companies often gave their tools ref nos based on thou. Eg with Britool:
    DH248 = 4BA
    DB250 = 1/4”
    DH266 = 17/64”

Under the Britool system the D means 1/4SD and A would mean 3/8SD. The H means hex and B means bi-hex. The 3 numbers are the size in thousandths of an inch.

17. soabar

soabar Member

No access to anything but metric & squat available locally, so a 1/4" bi-hex ordered online & fits perfectly!

Cheers.