Oil fired central heating blowing fuse..

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joiner Gerry, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Joiner Gerry

Joiner Gerry New Member

My oil fired central heating keeps blowing fuses after about 5 mins of working fine. Does any heating engineer know what could be causing this? The time clock has been replaced, the pump had been replaced and had been working fine for around a year. There are no visual leaks or water getting into the boiler, it is situated in a boiler house out the back.

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

What sort of oil boiler is it exactly?
    Have you had it serviced or checked recently by a proper experienced oil engineer?
    Simple to know how to isolate each part, - pump, motorised valves (if any), boiler wiring and controls, boiler burner

3. Joiner Gerry

Joiner Gerry New Member

Here is a picture of it, I know it’s as old as the hills but only back from holiday so would prefer to get it working rather than replace. I just had the motor replaced last week by a heating engineer and I thought it was fixed but it is still blowing the fuse.

Attached Files:

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

RDB burner is a good burner and if you have a brand new motor in it and new circulating pump, then I would recommend each part is isolated until you find what blows the fuse.
    It is not to be messed about with, so unless you understand electrics, I would advise you get an electrician or a different oil guy.
    Worth isolating entire burner firstly

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Circulating pump could still be faulty as you said it was a year old.
    Don’t assume it is ok.
    Isolate it to test.
    Hope your boiler and wiring is through an RCD?

6. Joiner Gerry

Joiner Gerry New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    The heating engineer has called and is checking the pump at the minute, he has isolated it to rule it out. Wiring is through RCD.

Heat likes this.
  7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi,
    I’ve found over the years, it’s often the pump that causes tripping out,

It’s a big lump of iron with water and electric in it !

Good luck
    Peter

Heat likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I also always think of the pump firstly. As you say, - water and electric together just requires a slight leek in the pump seals and fuse is blown.
    Also the pump motor windings can be breaking down and causing an overload of the power, often not immediately on start up. Same with oil burner motor

9. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

what did the heating engineer find out did he fix the fault.

Heat likes this.