Anti-mold silicone

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by rogerk101, Jul 10, 2019.

1. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

A year ago I installed a shower tray and used Mapei anti-mold silicone to seal between the shower tray and the wall tiles.
    A year on and the silicone is covered with little black mold spots.
    Does anyone know of a brand of silicone that really is anti-mold?

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

if the mold will grow on the plastic, on the glass and on the stone/tiles that's mean can grow on everything- have come across many brands, non of them (doesn't matter what the label says) is mold proof :) in my own opinion best what I have found is down corning- good consistency, quiet resist to mold and the smell of it ....

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pray every night for no mould, that’s what I do.

Dow Corning is pretty good, but not infallible.

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

If there was enough fungicide in sanitary silicone to completely prevent mould, it would be classed as a hazardous substance and you wouldn't be allowed to buy it.

Soak toilet paper in bleach, press it against all the affected areas and leave it for a few hours before washing it off. The mould will disappear. The paper
    holds the bleach against the mould instead of it just running away. Re-treat any stubborn bits. It also works on vertical joints. Ventilate the room well while
    you're doing it.

Our tray is now nearly 14 years old and the sealant still comes up like new using this method.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just use anti mould spray and killer from supermarket. £2... Cleans it up after a few applications and no effort. This has been around for years yet people still seem unaware

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve found the best spray is Dettol Mould and Mildew, really works, Tesco sell it, widely available I would imagine

Just spray the shower every now and again and leave, no scrubbing, rinsing required

Bleach based so does pong a bit but not the end of the world

Keeps grout and sili looking good

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That is racist ... what have you against the people from Yr Wyddgrug?

If you are refering to funfus and fungicide, the word is mould.

8. rogerk101

Funnily enough I typed in "mould", but the software on here highlighted it as a spelling error; so I just did the American thing and changed it to "mold". Why is everything these days brought down to the lowest common denominator?o_O

9. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

came across new silicone that looked like it was attracting mould growth. Used top grade (unopened,in date) suitable silicone. Customer not happy :mad:.

I asked the silicone manufacture why this has happened,they asked for affected silicone to be posted to them so they can analyse the fault. Their detailed reply mentioned its not so called mould but an attack from a shower gel or similar personal washing agent.

The above reply sounded like a load r-ollock's,i did not tell them the affected shower is 1 of 12 shower cubicles installed in serviced apartments with the same silicone in the same week.

customer was still not happy :p

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have read several times that when applying sili, if you use the wet finger method, ie, finger in the mouth, this introduces bacteria into the silicone

Don’t know if this is true or not or simply an urban myth ?

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Must admit I have found all types of silicone will go mouldy if in regular damp areas.
    Dow Corning is excellent, but still will go mouldy in shower trays.
    Forever White is fairly good, but I used some around my bath and mould has started behind bath shower mixer, due to leaking shower hose seal.

12. Broon

Broon Active Member

I've heard really good things about CTEC's CT1 but the tubes are really expensive so never used it myself.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The CT1 and similar polymer sealants like Tec7 are not ordinary silicone, but a strong adhesive and sealer.
    Problem is they white colour will go cream colour and I assume they also can go mouldy, so not ideal for finish seals on bathrooms.
    Brilliant for some locations though.
    They work on damp surfaces and even under water

14. Broon

Broon Active Member

Yeah one of the shops local to me sell it and have the display stand with a video showing what it can do quite impressive. I have used their multi-solve to remove sticky residue left and chewing gum it worked well.

Heat likes this.
  15. soabar

soabar Member

Give it a clean with bleach every few weeks to a month & the mould won't take hold. If it's left to develop cleaning doesn't realy work & it will need re-sealed.

Stuff seems to appear / grow quicker in the summer when it's warmer.

16. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I've tried Forever White and Dow's, both moulded up after a year. I think water is getting in behind my silicone gradually by soaking through the grout and dropping to lowest point at shower lip and the mould is blooming at the back of the silicone where you can't clean or treat it

17. rogerk101

Thanks for all the inputs, most of which confirm that there's no such thing as a mould-preventing silicone.
    I tried the "toilet paper soaked in bleach overnight" suggestion and it worked a treat. Looks like I'll be doing that every couple of months ... especially during the summer, when it's warm and we have numerous people taking showers every day.

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Try the Dettol spray I recommended, just give shower a spray every few days, brings the grout up nicely as well and give a good spray around tray/wall junction (silicone)

Much easier than soaking bits of bog roll in bleach

19. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Because America is the only country in the world which thinks it's OK to use the word 'restaurant' immediately after the word 'McDonalds'.