No rest bend at base of soil stack?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Wishidneverstarted, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Long story short but due to a party wall agreement on my partners house the builder next door is having to replace some of her drainage as it needs to be removed/realigned for them to build a new retaining wall.

So the builders yesterday removed the existing drainage (wasn't the best in all honesty however was 120 years old and worked) and replaced it with new plastic. Not a problem however the works included up to the base of the existing soil stack.

They have removed whatever was at the base and replaced it with a normal 90 degree bend not a rest bend or long radius bend. Is this acceptable? Asking for blockages? Builder has said that this is acceptable, I don't believe so.

Under Building regs Part H it doesn't say specifically but does state a 200mm radius on one of the sketches It also states should have access for rodding which they haven't provided either, however she has already pointed this out to them and they have said they will sort.

House is a normal 2 storey and stack takes the normal bathroom waste (WC/WHB/Bath) from up stairs

Cheers in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should be a proper rest bend, the bend at the base of the stack should have large a radius as possible.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. That's what I've told her to tell them - thanks for the reply

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should have added, seldom blocks on a rest rend, & if you do need to rod it, then there is usually not far away on the run fo access.

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Could be many reasons including the previous clay bend was a short radius so they replaced it with a short radius bend :)

Part H doc is just a guide,it can be departed from. The drain installer if asked would need to explain to an inspector their actions,again there could be many reasons for the drain installers actions.

Short radius clay bends are available to buy,used a few last year :cool:

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Speaking from experience I would prefer a proper rest bend where possible,quite a few years ago, I ended up replacing a short radis bend with a rest bend,after I could not remove a Cindy doll, & another toy I can't remember wedged in the bend, rodded up & down without success,reckon long rest bend the toys would have carried on down the pipe run.

7. The same happened to me but I deployed Action Man and his troops.They soon rescued Cindy and her hand bag and no remedial work to the drain was required.

8. I believe from looking at it they simply couldn't be bothered to dig it a bit deeper as there is scope within the run they are replacing to get enough drop. The explanation given was "it'll be alright"

In this instance there wouldn't be anywhere to rod from as it joins a main run on a junction, another reason why I was telling her to tell them it would be better a rest bend

Thanks for the replies all

9. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The main reason for a large radius bend at the base of the stack, ?
    If the stack is inside the property, and has boxing round it, you will be able to hear the water when in use.
    If it’s next door and you can’t hear when flushed, not to worry about it.

You may ask your neighbour if they can hear it when flush it used ?
    If not, it should be ok, just not good practice , to fit standard bend at base of stack, good plumber won’t do it, but builders ? Another story !

Good luck
    Peter

10. Itchy sponner

Itchy sponner New Member

If they gave replaced like for like then fair enough. If they have replaced a long bend for tight on then that's poor. Stack should have a access pipe near the bottom above the ground.

Really depends what the builders agreed to do in quote

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why not ask them to fit a shallow striaght through inspection chamber ? They are less than £20 and will make resolving blockages easier

12. There was a shallow inspection chamber before however she is being told that they now can't get one to fit which seems a little odd. In the party wall agreement its basically worded to realign/replace as required for the works they need to do on the new retaining wall, this however must be in line with building regulations.

Anyway, my partner got annoyed/bored of the builders chauvinistic comments towards her and contacted building control herself. They've inspected and said it should have a rest bend and as there was one before (along with a shallow chamber) then no reason why the same shouldn't be replaced.

cheers

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A result then.

Although chambers can on times be a pain when you want to build something or mark a yard look nice, when you have a blockage they are a godsend especially when it is the toilet pipe that is blocked

KIAB likes this.