SWA in Plastic CU from the rear

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by GeordieKev, Jul 11, 2019.

1. GeordieKev

GeordieKev New Member

Hi, I'm currently installing a 6mm 3 core SWA into my garden for a hot tub. As it's a fairly new build the CU is in the utility room with all the cable fed from the rear. I've managed to feed the SWA into the CU from the rear also, but now I have to terminated the armour. My plan is to connect it to a 6mm cable and put it direct into the earth terminals. Can anyone think of an issue with this? II know normally you would terminate it into a box before going into the CU but the GF doesn't want cables hanging out of the CU.

For info the cable is fed from a 32 Amp RCBO on it's on circuit, the SWA isn''t being used as a earth but needs to be terminated at the supply end, so not to export the earth.

2. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

SWA glands

John
    -

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You need to use the correct sized swa gland with an earth banjo. It can't be done any other way. The fact that you are even asking to do this in a totally non-standard way makes me wonder what else is wrong.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you not take the SWA to a hidden or discrete location where the protection is not needed, then run T&E from that point to the CU.

5. GeordieKev

GeordieKev New Member

I'm asking as I normally fit these cables in machines running 3 phases and surround by metal. So all of the SWA is into a gland and then earth to the machine. so don't worry your head about what else is wrong as I didn't ask for that.

6. GeordieKev

GeordieKev New Member

I can and was looking at adding a box just as it enters the house and terminating the SWA there. But seeing as I would be running a 6mm twin and earth from there, then electrically speaking this is the same as what I had planned, but with more connections.

7. Gland the swa into the back of an adaptable box.This can then be bushed or coupled to the bottom of the consumer unit.

8. tinkerbell60

tinkerbell60 Member

Why are you concerned about how to terminate the cable. As this will be done be the registered electrician who will carry out the the work, test it, and notify local planning. It is why you pay for a professional to do such work.

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Provided the connections are well made that would be the ideal. Everyone would be happy! Are you aware that there are now Wago 221s that take 6mm and rated for 41A
    https://www.wago.com/global/install...nnectors/compact-splicing-connector/p/221-612

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

The swa glands come with a tag to connect the armour to earth. Best clamped to metal at each end of the cable but probably some freedom on that so just MHO.

I vaguely recollect that he cuts the armour to length a bit on the short side when he fits the gland. I would use the same style of external gland he uses even indoors,

To be legal there are all sorts of complications running new cables including adding any in the house. Depends on type of consumer unit, what they are connected to, where the wires run and how they are protected etc. I doubt if you needed 6mm for a spar as well.

John
    -

11. Why put an unnecessary and extra joint in the cable when it is not required.He can get the swa as far as the consumer unit therefore it could be terminated as I have described above.

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

This is what you asked @GeordieKev

What am I meant to read that as something completely different then? Like I'm some kind of mind reader?

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

He says his GF will tear him a new one...

"GF doesn't want cables hanging out of the CU."

14. An adaptable box is not cables.

15. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

;) Wrong way round - a bit too long.

John
    -

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Rights so an invisible SWA cable to an adaptable box then...

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The gland on an SWA cable serves 2 functions, a mechanical anchor to prevent the cable connections being pulled out if the cable is subject to tension, and to ensure earth continuity to the armours from the supply earth, and from the armours to the earth at the load end (if the armour is to be used as earth). The gland is the most popular, but not the only method to gain compliance, consider how service cables are terminated, no gland here but the armour is terminated into ordinary connectors. In a domestic situation where the armoured cable will not be subject to rough use, it may be possible to dispense with the gland and terminate the armours to a bolt in a metal consumer unit, this is only a suggestion and it may make some feel uneasy, but I believe it complies.

18. If you actually read post number 7, you may then stop looking foolish by posting about cables running everywhere.

19. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

That would be great for SWA into an insulated box, however while this nut and the banjo provide excellent earth continuity, they do not provide the mechanical anchor that a gland in a box or on a gland plate provides when used as suggested in this thread.