Is this necessary?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ann Demaret, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Hello,
    I hope someone can advise me. A builder called at my house as I need a concrete ramp built for the front porch. Whilst here, hd said there were cracks in my walls and the bricks were lose above all the window frames. He was right,they were. He looked at all the ground floor windows , 7 in all and discovered that not one of the windows had a lintel fitted. He said I must now have lintels put in for each window and the bricks reset . I dont know much about building, but I am frightened about the cost. Is this really necessary? All the houses in the road are the same. No one else seems concerned. Also, will my home insurance pay if I must have the work done? Thank you so much in advance.

2. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Walls used to be built without lintels on the outer skin when the frames were timber, but need lintels when replaced with plastic ones. However it's up to you when and whether you have lintels installed.

3. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Many thanks Stuart. Is it necessary? Will the windows break without them? (eventually)

4. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Sometimes the pressure from the brickwork drops enough to crack the glass or make the opening frames jam.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Ann, it is quite a common problem and shouldn't be too expesive to fix.

Best post a couple of simple pictures so we can have a look.

If you need a ramp fitted have you contacted your local authority they may be able to help either with the design or cost. They also have a list of approved contrators to undertake the work

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  6. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Many thanks. Ann

7. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Many thanks ann

8. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Hello Sospan
    Obviously a Welshman like me. Many thanks for the reply. Here are some pictures. The problem is there are so many in a bad state. Please could you explain about the local authority? I don't really understand. Would it be a job I could claim off my house insurance? Thank you so much for your help
    Best wishes Ann

9. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

I can't see the photo's Ann. Don't think it would be covered by your insurance.

10. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Sorry I have taken the photos on my phone but they say the files are too big to send. How can I make them smaller?

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem it is a common problem Use TinyPic or similar to resize photo.

http://tinypic.com/

12. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Thank you you are so kind . I will try again.
    Ann