Hatchet job?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by white rabbit, Jul 22, 2019.

1. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Hi all,

Just recently had a new kitchen fitted, including plumbing work to install new dishwasher, sink and washing machine.

The plumbing work to connect all three to water mains and waste pipe looks pretty crazy (see photos) and I've noticed a bit of a smell constantly around the sink area.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this as I'm thinking the smell is likely caused by the way the plumbing has been configured under the sink.

Would be great to get your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Only looking on the phone screen mind, but the bigger pipe to the left is the outlet and is running uphill! Does the sink actually drain like it should?

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

JP, yes it does look like that.
    I would think that could be the cause??
    It looks like the dishwasher & wash machine waste not getting away.

White rabbit, get the plumber back & say its not been fitted correctly.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

That flexi waste is terrible.
    The waste shouldn’t run upwards it should be the opposite.
    It will eventually get blocked.

The waste needs stripped back and redone from a lower level.

5. just pumps

Hard to see but is there another white pipe in the top right hand corner above the brown bag behind a silver flexi?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Looks like just a reflection, possibly from flash when taking picture

But yep, look quickly and it ‘may’ look like a 40mm waste pipe !

All that gunge from waste water gonna be getting caught in those folds of the flexi pipe

Guess just easier / quicker / cheaper / than coring a new hole through wall lower down

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

But does any of the above cause the smell, since there is a working ubend probably not?

8. just pumps

New discharge water disturbs debris which hasn`t cleared the highest point of the discharge line so yes it does cause the smell.

Severntrent likes this.
  9. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

The inlets for the WM & DW are plughole side of the U bend so you could get some smells from the appliances.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Naff job for sure

11. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The combined sink drain is badly installed,often the existing sink drain pipe is fitted high but for unknown reasons it is not lowered.Sometimes its not possible to alter that pipe :(

the new kitchen specifier should have noticed the high drain pipe and specified a sink with a more shallow bowl and if necessary omit the dual appliance drain spigot,then install a section of 40mm rigid pipe with a slight gravity fall where the appliance spigots can be connected :)

There again the smell could be a dead rat :D

12. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated!
    I've added some more photos in case that sheds some more light around how it was installed.
    Is it going to be relatively straightforward to fix?

Attached Files:

13. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

I don't like the look of the flexable with the White tape on it, it appears stressed and will fail, should have used a longer flexible. Why did he fit a flexable drain pipe, never the best idea.

14. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

yes :)

15. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Both of those braided flexi-pipes are going to fail prematurely. They need to be replaced (and the originals dumped) asap since they have clearly been damaged during fitting and are flexing much too close to the connector. The damage caused by a burst flexi can be more expensive to fix than getting this bodge properly sorted.

16. Severntrent

So filling sink with water each evening and pulling plug should clear this mysterious decaying debris and prevent smell?

17. Severntrent

As are everyone's wm and dw connections who don't get smells. If they were after the ubend you would then get sewer smells.

18. just pumps

Would certainly help and nothing mysterious about debris found in kitchen sink pipework set up like that. You sound like most of your work is external to buildings.

19. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Thanks again folks for the feedback.
    Regarding the smells, I've checked it out a bit more and can confirm no smell is coming up through the plug hole at all, perfectly fine.
    Seems the smell seems to originate from under the sink, most likely where the pipework is coming in/out of the cabinet that houses the sink.
    Any ideas what might be going on?

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Waste pipe maybe has become disconnected under floor letting by drain smells.