Cladding a 44mm summer house

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Jul 31, 2019.

1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

So, my 44mm interlocking summer house was a bit of a disaster. Guys who did concrete made it wrong size, also not level at all. Builders of summer house completely ignored that and built it anyway, badly.

I took whole thing down :eek: rebuilt it on subrame on concrete blocks. Constant airflow now underneath. But.. it leaks though corners still in rain, tried sealant which cracks and pulls out of place when wood moves.

So thinking of cladding it, good idea? Just want to damn thing rainproof.

2. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Sounds like a disaster. Sympathies etc. As usual, got any pics? Can’t diagnose issues without.

3. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Shame because you buy these things for how they look as much as anything and to have to over clad is as Phil says a bit of a disaster
    We have a summer house, like the one above, the corners interlock. Ours leaks at corners also (not too concerned as it's only used for storing lawn mower really) but when i put it up i did wonder if i should seal the corner joins with something (didn't) as there is a definite flaw in the design there and thinking about it now i can't see how the corner can ever be weather tight as is
    Not helpful i know, interesting to see what you decide on doing

4. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I recently built a summerhouse for the other half and I sealed between each panel with a fairly large bead of sealant between each panel as it went together. So far it's bone dry and we've had a fair amount of rain recently.

I know it's not much use to you now as it's built. How about some sort of capping on the external corners. Anything to stop the driving rain.

b4xtr likes this.
  5. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Yeah should of done what you did, hindsight :) suggestion of a bit of capping might be a good shout though

6. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Screenshot_20190801-192644.png

b4xtr likes this.
  7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Cheers for replies, I think cladding while costing extra money would add extra layer of protection and will keep rain out. Yes bit of a disaster, but im over that kinda lol gotta move forward.

8. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Summer house for a lawn mower? :eek:

9. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Probably a stupid question but is there a membrane on the external face of timber frame?

10. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Ha, well a few more bits and pieces but didn't want to bore everyone with list of stuff
    was never intended to sit in or such, but more as pretty storage, rather than bog standard shed

11. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Not on my one, just t & g clad

12. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Ah well if you are taking back to stud, be worth a shot, get Tyvek or other and a staple gun may be?

13. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

No not me, think the OP was asking for options on fixing leaks, i just added to the confusion i think :oops:

BikerChris likes this.
  14. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Oh my bad sorry :(

15. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Its a 44m interlocking cabin/summer house, there will be no studwork.

Its this type (not mine but that type)

[​IMG]

I understand you can clad building etc. But this type of building is not normally seen to be cladded. My reason for asking is will it work? Will it support cladding?

The corners overlap on outside stick out by 100mm like below.

[​IMG]

Can I cut them back 50mm?
    Then batten around outside then cladd to make straight edge to outside corners with cladding?

Anyone think bad idea or not?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Wow, its still leaking after you rebuilt it? That's a lot of effort wasted, but at least you got the base sorted. That's good news at least.

My cabin is still water tight, no bodge job there if you know what I mean.

If its only leaking at the corners you could try some angled plastic or whatnot like PhilSo posted above, then paint it so its hidden. I'd affix in some temporary fashion first to see if that reduces the problem before fixing properly. Be aware than timbers will expand and shrink - not sure how best to fix it in place to allow for movement - could affix in sections starting from the bottom up and overlapping each section?

If it just the corners leaking or elsewhere?

snappyfish likes this.
  17. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

**** happens lol, well the base part is well sorted. Just in driving rain it draws through corners in middle at points. I cant see why cladding is a bad idea, extra layer, better protection etc etc

18. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Cost aside, I think cladding can bring benefits, stop the leaking and provide greater insulation. My concern would be how to affix it to the existing 44mm timbers which will move vertically and horizontally throughout the season. You probably need battens than are affixed vertically, then nail on horizontal cladding. With it all being timber, perhaps the relative movement would be minmal.

19. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

This is the cabin that's been cladded by another company.

[​IMG]

20. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Only very quick Q and no insult intended but the interlocking is the right way round isn't it? I.e. centre part is proud.