Warminster Branch Manager Incompetent

Discussion in 'Screwfix Trade Counters' started by Amanda Helm, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Amanda Helm

Amanda Helm New Member

I have just had the misfortune to shop at the Warminster store. I pulled up outside the store in the car and sent my 20 year old son in to pick up some Ronseal Woodfiller. He was told that he would need ID even though he had the screwfix card with him. As he didn't have ID on him, he told the manager who was serving him that he would get his mum who was in the car. I went in and despite having ID on me which I showed him he refused to serve me. In front of a full shop he told me that I was being classed as someone who would provide a person under 25 with goods that required ID. I told him that this wasn't the case and asked him to check our account which would show that we are regular customers. He told me that the law was clear and that he had been on a course the week before and knew all about it. I suggested that the law might be discretionary and that he could exercise common sense in relation to the fact that I was clearly an older woman who would not be aiding and abetting any illegal activity. He said that he would call someone to check and left me at the counter. He came back after 5 minutes and confirmed that he could not serve me and had confirmed this with his head office. I asked him to be reasonable as the drive to B and Q is a good 30 minutes. He asked me to leave the shop. I asked for his details so that I could raise a complaint which he gave me. As I walked out of the shop which was now empty of customers I heard him mumble something to a black haired female assistant who was standing next to him. She laughed loudly I as exited.
    I have made a formal complaint against, the assistant who laughed at me and therson he telephoned for advice. I suspect that he was lying to me that he had received managerial support for his decision.
    I also made a complaint against the call handler who at 1.36pm put the telephone down on me after telling me to make my complaint by email and I suggested that I had a disability that would prevent me from doing so.
    I telephoned back and was pleased at the response who then dealt with me.
    I have been told that the area manager for the Warminster area will be contacted with the complaint. * could not advise me as to how long it would be until I heard from the area manager and there is no complaints policy on the Srewfix web page that I can find.
    I subsequently went to B and Q with my son where we were served with no request for identification.
    This has wasted several hours and has been a humiliating experience. It effectively delayed the work that my husband and I are doing in renovating the sash windows in our Grade 2 listed home. This will incur additional expense in relation to the hire of scaffolding.
    I am expecting a full response and explanation for this discourteous and unsatisfactory customer service.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2019
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All to do with Challenge 25,surprise you had no problems as B&Q operate a Challenge 25 policy for purchasing any age-restricted goods.

My lad is 22,doesn't look his age,& he is still ask for ID when buying certian things due to Challenge 25.
    And sometimes when he with me,he has been ask for ID, like when I bought a strimmer blade.:confused:

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can this be blamed on the EU or terrorist activities?:mad:

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Join the army at 18 and you get a rifle to kill people

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, but you will have been trained. :rolleyes:

John_MacKinnon likes this.
  6. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

I'm sorry for your upset @Amanda Helm

There are legal restrictions on what can be sold on some items we stock such as solvents and blades and checks are in place to ensure we comply with these regulations.

From the information you have provided i believe this is being investigated. However I will pass on the details of your post to our customer service team when i back in the office in the morning so this can be checked.

Peter

7. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

Don't hold your breath!!!

Dam0n likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Grade 2 listed you should be using Repair Care Products not DIY toys. Look at video on YouTube, KIAB have you a link?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  9. Great stuff, costs a few quid to by all the tools required but well worth it.
    Do Brewers not stock it? County Construction Chemicals have it all in stock normally.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Astramax likes this.
  11. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

As a young looking 22 yr old, I would have thought he was well aware about ID. Had you been in an off licence and gone in with him after he was refused, you should get exactly the same treatment. You can't blame counterstaff for this action when Local Authorities are using young people to test a reaction.

John_MacKinnon and KIAB like this.
  12. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

At least you spent your hard earned cash with the same group of companies

13. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

There is a Toolstation close to most Screwfixes. Don’t know about Warminster but if so it would have saved the long drive.

14. toolz

toolz Member

The best response to being asked for ID is saying that you no longer wish to buy the product, then walk out of the shop, or say "sure, my ID is in the car, I'll just go and get it" then don't come back. Then you, as the account holder, could have come back at another time to collect the product, no mentioning of mothers or sons or whatever.
    Sometimes the retail staff feel so powerless in their horrible jobs that if they don't like your face, your accent or whatever, they'll ask you for ID just to annoy you. I get it in some places and I'm almost double the legal age and clearly do not look under 25. Sometimes I'm even asked for ID from people who are clearly 10 years younger than ME! Thick as.

As an aside, in my local Screwfix, I was buying some plumbing things to change some taps or whatever and the young guy behind the counter said "how'd you learn to do all this then?" as if women were so thick or lacking in the movement of their hands that they couldn't do a simple DIY task like change a tap on their own. No way in hell would he have said that if I'd been a bloke. This young lad was probably 10 years younger than me so it looks like the next generation of men are still growing up with outdated attitudes.

15. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

maybe it was just his way of making conversation and his way of breaking the ice??