Cost of replacing all plumbing and central heating system in 3 bedroom detached house

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by another amateur, Aug 7, 2019.

1. I've been quoted nearly £20k (incl vat)

For taking out all existing pipework and central heating system and replacing both.
    The system is old and has been updated on a piecemeal basis. Tanks in loft, oil boiler over 20 years old.

House is being re-arranged so a change to kitchen, bathroom and new utility and cloakroom being created plus a new porch.

it will be a new oil combi boiler

Price does not include sanitary ware but thats not a lot these days

I've used the plumber before and he has worked with the builder and electrician before.

is this price in the right ball park?

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

For a small one bedroom house - expensive. For an 8 bedroom detached with 5 bathrooms - cheap!

How many bedrooms? Bathrooms? Reception rooms? Studies? How many floors? Basement?

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Definitely on the expensive side.

Need more details of exactly what’s getting done.
    Is it expensive radiators or just normal white ones ?
    Does it include replacing the waste throughout?

4. Mike 58..
    It says in the title 3 bedroom detached. thought I would keep the main bit short.

Mike 83..
    not the cheapest radiators. new waste connections for new kitchen and cloakroom. the job includes removing existing plumbing and install new combie. install pipe work to new bathroom on 1st floor for bath, shower basin and wc. radiators in 3 bedrooms plus 3 receptions, kitchen, bathroom, utility, cloakroom. copper pipe

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The biggest single expense will be the boiler.
    Knowing exactly what’s being fitted will help.
    Working out a price for fitting the full heating system will be a good starting point.

6. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

Ask for a breakdown of boiler and all parts prices,then you can see how much is being charged for labour,but I bet they refuse! Sounds like a 3-4 day job,so expect around £1,500-£1800.
    £20,000 must be way over the top,they probably don’t want the job so quoted high to either not get it or make a killing.

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Far too expensive!
    I would think it should be well below 10k for everything, and that would be with all copper work.

seen it all before likes this.
  8. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Depending on where in the country you are will influence the price. Also what type of boiler is going in, but £20.000 is extortianate, my plumbers would be in the region of £6.000-£10,000 depending on spec of rads etc.

Heat likes this.
  9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Sorry, missed that, on the mobile device it was proably hidden.

And for that, it is certainly high.

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Don't think it's possible to guess a price really without details of the house re arrangement.

A heating person should be able to come up with a rough idea of the installation cost of X radiators and some of the work involved in that would be needed to take the old stuff out. A common trick on boilers is to over charge for them as they can be heavily discounted. Really need to know make and model. Perhaps installers do look at heating requirements these days rather than guessing. That's what lots did when ours went in so didn't get the work. Actually the only people who worked any differently was british gas - they did tell me what boiler they would install and did the sums.

House mods - pass depends on what's being done. Electrics - same. That to is very dependent on what is being done. Full rewire or what. In a sense electrics are unknown until some one looks at what you have and what needs doing.

John
    -

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  11. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I have had quotes for some plumbing work recently and they seem to be getting silly expensive even for simple jobs.

12. LEH

LEH Active Member

I'd suggest getting British Gas out to give a quote. I would never use them - BUT - it's quite helpful to use the quote as a maximum limit, as anyone one else should be cheaper. If your plumber is more expensive than BG you know for sure you are being ripped off ;)

13. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

There are so many reasons for that quote :(

only yourself and the plumber know the reasons why,so its quiet difficult to really comment on the £20k quote (no contingency fund has been mentioned). There are ways to reduce how much you actually pay ;).

proper registered plumbers/heating technicians are in constant demand,the summer months they like to take a long holiday often with their family. They make their cash from winter months & other emergency type work .
    some proper plumbers/technicians do reactive work,some do long term jobs and some both ;). Tbh plumbers/heating installers-technicians down my way are having a summer rest. They have next early summers long term jobs work already booked up,winter work will occur,its how they work.

plumbers/heating technicians often take time off to avoid paying higher tax's.something like the doctor pension fiasco happening at the moment ;)

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Is the downstairs all run in concrete by chance? Does it include a new oil tank?

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I do try to avoid doing much more work each year once I reach about 200 K earnings.

The Teach likes this.
  16. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

fully understood,people work for money not fairy tale recommendations from faux money grabbing webb sites

Heat likes this.