Sockets in Garage....

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MrE, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MrE

MrE New Member

Got blown to bits, but curiosity got the better of me, here's inside the no2 image and also inside the garage
    Sorry I don't know why the images are 90 degrees, they aren't on my Mac.

IMG_5869.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Still my favourite wiring system, and as bazza says we all learned conduit bending back in the day, how to make set bends, how to work out the length of the radius so it all lined up perfectly without trimming, a dying artform!, good conduit work, like good pyro work is in my eyes a thing of beauty

andyscotland and Bazza like this.
  3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, looks like 2.5mm2 twin & earth cable run in conduit.

The second box looks like plastic not steel.

4. Tony Goddard

OK so its steel conduit with T&E in, presuming the metal box you show is the house end. The steel conduit passes out the back of the box into the house. The white box in the garage has a different colour cable in, so there must be a join, maybe in the box on the outside of the garage. not a problem if its a well made joint and the box has a gasket.

5. Tony Goddard

Bazza, is it me or is it white T&E in the metal box and grey in the plastic one, or is it just a trick of the light?

6. MrE

MrE New Member

Ill check tomorrow, but you right one is white, one is grey. The plastic one is in the garage. the metal one is on the house. The CU is about 4m or 5m away from the outside wall. I think it's 2.5mm too, and that right for 16Amp isn't it?

7. andyscotland

andyscotland Active Member

I remember all that, and fabricating all the different types of bends and junctions from straight sections of steel trunking. Was hugely satisfying to get it neat, tho even then the lecturer was telling us it was one of those things we had to do for the test then never again.

8. andyscotland

andyscotland Active Member

That's slightly curious. The conduit disappears into the ground between the two? There shouldn't really be a joint in the cable other than in an accessible box.

9. MrE

MrE New Member

I temporarily used a screw from the inside box, for the missing one on the outside box. but i was amazed there was no gasket between the lid and the little round access trap (in my pics) no waterproofing except metal contacting metal.

10. Tony Goddard

My bet is that there is a join in the box on the outer wall of the garage

11. Tony Goddard

You can buy rubber gaskets from any electrical wholesaler, and brass M4 screws for the lid

12. Tony Goddard

I'm lucky enough to do it most days still being mainly industrial, my garage is done in galvanised 50x50 trunking all round with 20mm conduit drops to sockets and switches and a canalis busbar running up the middle of the roof to feed the lights - very much overkill, but all done with offcuts and overstock from jobs.

andyscotland likes this.
  13. MrE

MrE New Member

Yes the metal conduit goes under a concrete path (path was clearly broken up for it to be laid at some point). Path is about 800mm wide, basically access to garden.

14. Tony Goddard

99% certain you will find a join in the box outside the garage

15. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I suspect the sparks will tell you that an new cable could be pulled through and what size if needed.

May be wrong as I would need to look but isn't 2.5mm ok for a 20A mcb ? The ratings of the rcd's might say otherwise though.

John
    -

16. MrE

MrE New Member

I will open that up tomorrow and have a look, but im sure you are right

I really appreciate all the effort everyone has taken to chip in on this topic.

Still would like to check, i do need to get this signed off (part P?) when I've added two sockets?

17. Tony Goddard

It's 2.5 without a doubt, and that is fine on either a 16 or 20A MCB at this length, no need for a new cable, just to ensure that:

The joint is OK

The conduit is earthed

Gaskets are fitted to the boxes

18. Tony Goddard

No, that is a very minor work, you are not adding a new circuit or making a huge alteration, so it's certainly within the scope of DIY work the likes of which go on every weekend up and down the country. Saying that it would be good to get the earthing checked by an electrician who will have a tester for that job, they may well certify it for you as part of that testing depending on what you ask them for, many electricians, including me will not certify someone elses work for obvious insurance reasons, I would do it as a limited EICR on a single circuit at the request of the client.

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It’s fine as it is. What do the “ratings of the RCDs” have to do with anything??

20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Could have an RCD rated at 10A I suppose?
    Think the lowest I’ve seen in use is 40A.
    I think it’s a grey cable in both pictures, just the light reflecting off the cable in the first picture makes it look white.