Acrylic paint for a roofbox

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tangoman, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

I picked up a free roofbox that's showing its age and I'm considering spraying it.

I've had good success freshening things up using acrylic sprays, but a roofbox has to cope with being blasted with air at 70+mph.

I've googled around, and lots of people seems to have asked similar questions, but I can find no informed answers.

If I go the acrylic route, I've got 2 choices
    1) I have already got a couple of large cans of matt black, more than enough to do a large roofbox, but the original colour is the light grey, so if the paint does end up getting scratched a lot, it will look truly awful.
    2) I can order in something similar in colour to existing, although I'll never get an exact match.

Either way, should I finish with a lacquer?

Any thoughts as to how resilient such a job would be?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Astramax likes this.
  3. Tangoman

Err no!

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

With the Bedec paints they erode rather than fail so an occasional maintenance coat would be required perhaps every 3 years or so, so not a bad choice.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen a grp roof on horse box painted with the paint, was still there several years later.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If DA was still present on this forum (er, perhaps he is under another user name ???)....... I’m sure he would have suggested to simply use masonry paint :confused:

Please Note:
    I’m not suggesting you use above mentioned paint ....... just merely reminiscing over previous paint squabbles :D

Hans_25 and KIAB like this.
  7. Tangoman

OK maybe this was the wrong forum for this question lol.
    I actually want a decent finish - spray is the only realistic option.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Scotch pad.. Don't scratch surface. Wipe over with meths then zinsser all coat will take hold nice in satin black. Done my plastic bumpers on van last year and still good

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Err No!

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

And how good a finish can you get on a large item when using a rattle can ?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Car body paint is waterbase polyurethane acrylic enamel today.;)

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cant see that being a problem Dave to be fair.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

May be worth a trip to a local car body repair workshop and get it sprayed in a nice metallic graphite grey!

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s what I’m saying Astra - will be a much better finish than using spray cans surely ?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I've used spray cans a fair amount with great success and cannot see a problem, it really depends on what level of finish the op is wanting to achieve.

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

My plastic bumpers look amazing. Paint took well and no brush or roller marks. This was light gray bumper before I painted about August last year with zinsser all coat waterbased satin in black..
    IMG_20190811_142923_compress79.jpg

Astramax likes this.
  17. Tangoman

A near perfect one. I have done THAT many times - best job was on a fishtank cabinet that had been badly painted in white over black. I sprayed it back to black and it came up looking like new.

Finish is not an issue here, unless you're suggesting paints that require a brush!

@Wayners - difficult to tell from that photo, but that doesn't look like a good finish - maybe ok for a bumper, but certainly not something you'd want to draw attention to!

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be fair, pretty good for a textured van bumper painted a year ago.;).....Wayners was showing you an example of how tough waterbase paints are these days not the overall finish.

19. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@Tangoman this is a picture just after I painted last year. The one above is this year and dirty as never cleaned. You can see in this picture the top bit along the back is missing as I'm painting that at the time of taking picture, but what's wrong with this below? Was I light gray before so I think it came out well and a year on you can see from first pic it's still good [​IMG]

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looking good Wayners.:)

Wayners likes this.