Data points

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MRSJ, Aug 11, 2019.

1. MRSJ

MRSJ Member

Hi all

I’ve just built a home office at the bottom of the garden and want to have a couple of hard wired Ethernet ports.

Obviously I need to run the Cat5 from the router to the office, but can I daisy chain the two points together, or do I need two Cat5 cables from the router (one for each point)?

Thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    MRSJ likes this.
  3. MRSJ

MRSJ Member

Thanks @KIAB, so for the sake of clarity, I can’t daisy chain them?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Won't work, ethernet needs point-to-point connections, so a gigabit switch easier.

MRSJ likes this.
  5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

KIAB and MRSJ like this.
  6. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I assume the cable is coming from your modem/router in the house?
    My setup is a single Cat6 from the main router (Ubiquiti ERLite3) to my office (about 30m of cable), into a Netgear ProSafe Gigabit switch, which runs PC, Wifi Access point (Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Pro) NAS and IP phone. I've then got an HP wifi printer connected to this access point, which I can access from anywhere in the house, even print from phones.
    Its been rock steady since I installed it about 5 years ago

I just use my ISP supplied Modem/Router as a Modem, it has a single cable to my Ubiquiti router and it handles all of the internal DHCP work and firewall etc. The ISP box has wifi switched off as it was rubbish. The Ubiuiti ones are far superior

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very little difference in the price between Cat 5e & Cat 6 SWA cable.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If you happen to have an old wifi router around you can also use that. I do exactly this. Run your cable and terminate, just as you would if you were putting a switch on the end. Go in to the second routers admin panel, turn off dhcp, and give it a fixed IP in the same range as the DHCP of your main router. Plug the incomer into one of the LAN ports on router #2 (not the internet port) Now the remaining ports on the router will work as a switch and the wifi in the router will give you a second WiFi SSID to use in your office. You can in theory give it the same SSID as the 1st router, but I found it unstable - so I have SSID-House and SSID-Office.

If you don't really understand that, just buy a switch as Kiab says - should be plug and play

9. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

Yes you can use the one cable as you only need 2 pairs/4 cores for each point however it won’t give you POE or won’t be any good for gigabit.

You just need 1,2,3 and 6

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

...- so I have SSID-House and SSID-Office.

Put them on the same channel and use the same name and it will handover between without dropping the connection when you go from one to the other. You get issues if they are on different channels

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks for this. It's a long while since I set it up and can't remember if I tried that - setting up again in a new house soon - I'll give this a try - I know in theory it should just work.

12. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I’ve got 3 running on N and one of those is an AC too, all on the same ID it just jumps between them no glitches

13. C9311

C9311 New Member

If the cable run to "bottom of the garden" is 100m or more from the switch you are using you will have problems and have to convert from copper to fibre and back again at the other end.

14. FlyByNight

Why?

Easy solution is to put a POE switch halfway ... unless it is over 180m

15. C9311

C9311 New Member

But then you need power half way up your garden and a water proof box for the switch to sit in. Easier to just run fibre!

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Directional long-distance outdoor Wi-Fi transmission antenna.. About £60. That will work.. To much hassle running cables

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks for this tip - It was obviously the same channel I missed before, because this is now working properly.

I bet it isn't :p

18. FlyByNight

Do you? Care to explain why a POE switch will need external power?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well,my Netgear POE switch has a external psu.

20. FlyByNight

Yes but use one which is powered over Ethernet and external power is not needed. For example: Planet POE-E202 or POE-E304