Shower Tray removal help!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by 1GC, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 1GC

1GC New Member

Hi,

I am trying to get my old shower tray out, it appears to sit slightly behind the tiles. It moves slightly side to side but I can not lift/pull it out (i have disconnected the waste pipe).

01.jpg 02.jpg 3.jpg

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

It may have 'upstands', in other words a raised lip, on the sides behind the tiles. You should be able to see with a torch.

If not, it may simply be so far under both sets of tiles that it is simply too wide across the diagonal to pull out.

Or, if it's been set on cement, that may be stopping it.

I'm afraid it's almost certainly going to need one or several tiles removing to free it.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you are going to scrap the tray ,just smash it out. Its probably held in place at the walls by silicone ,and possibly underneath.

Heat and Joe the Plumber like this.
  4. 1GC

1GC New Member

Thanks for the reply, after taking another look it does appear to have upstands. I plan to replace the tray, hopefully this will be possible without taking any wall tiles down.

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Thats rather ambitious ;)

If it has top upstand's use the top of the tray as a tool guide and just cut through the upstands with an angle grinder and a multi cutter in the corner. Segmented diamond cutting blades are your friend.
    ;)Check for pipes/cables first !

6. I'm with Terrymac, gentle kiss with a lump hammer will do it! You won't get it out intact without removing tiles.
    Did one similar, stoneresin, couple of months ago, worked a treat.