no hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Nick1234, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

Help. I've changed a hot water tap and now I don't have any hot water. I've tried putting the cold feed into the hot feed but all that happened was the overflow pipe from the attic started leaking. Any help would be appreciated.

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

you have gravity fed hot water and pressure fed cold one, your new tap is not suitable for unbalanced feed

3. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

But it happened before I put the new tap on. Ive no hot water downstairs either

4. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

I mean I put isolation valves on then turned the water back on. but no hot water. I've got cold water.

5. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

air lock

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As above without any doubt.

7. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

yes, I thought so. So I put the mains feed into the hot water to blow it out but it hasn't worked. Any ideas

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

How did you isolate the hot water ,prior to fitting isolation valves ?

9. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

stop cock buy the water tank

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Do you mean stopcock to the loft tank ,or stopcock on the feed from the loft tank to the hot water cylinder ? If the latter ,is it a gate valve ( big red handle ) ?

11. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

it was the latter

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If it is a gate valve ,its stuck in the closed position internally.

13. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

its only 6 months old. is there a way to sort that out myself

14. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

if airlock you can try to block overflow and next push with the mains

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes replace it with a lever operated, full bore valve. Gate valves are junk. If you overtightened ,when closing it ,the internal brass spindle snaps and the gate remains closed. Did you fit the gate valve ,if so replacing is the same procedure.

16. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

Its got a round red handle on it. and no i didnt fit it

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What a ridiculous suggestion. If the overflow is blocked then excess water could flood the loft .

18. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

Thats what i thought

19. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

hold on- I got that wrong- was thinking about expansion pipe- sorry for previous post

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Definitely a gate valve. You will need to isolate the cold water supply to the loft tank ,and drain the loft tank. Either by siphoning with a hose pipe ,or bucket and sponge job. Is your cold water to bath from the loft tank ? If so run it and that will empty most ,but not all the loft tanks water.
    When you undo the gate valve ,be prepared ,with plenty of towels ,as quite a bit of water will still be in the pipe. Your hot water cylinder should have a drain cock ,low down near the bottom of it ,where the cold feed goes in. That can be used to lower the level of water in the cylinder ,but be aware the rubber seal in the drain cock can be stuck in position and makes the job more complicated if it is ,so I advise you to leave it alone.
    Is the gate valve higher on the pipework than the cylinders distribution pipe ( hot water outlet)? The higher it is ,the less water will run out when the gate valve is loosened.
    There are other ways to tackle the job ,like fitting a bung to the loft tanks outlets and expansion pipe,or freezing the pipes either side of the gate valve before removing it. Draining all the water out is your safest way.

WillyEckerslike likes this.