no hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Nick1234, Aug 14, 2019.

1. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

if cold feed connected to hot feed filling up the tank how the valve can be stuck?

2. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

ok thanks for your advise. Ill give it ago tomorrow and let you know how i get on

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Are you asking if mains cold water is connected into the hot water pipework ,then how does the cold water get up into the loft tank ?

4. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

That question was being asked to xednim ,who seems to be confused Nick.

6. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

ok thanks

7. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

if the valve is stuck it wont drive water into the tank- am I correct?

8. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

i dont no if its stuck or not. i think ive got a airlock on my hot water after changing a tap. its been suggested it could be the gate valve when i isolated the water. ive tried blowing the p-ipe out with the cold tap but it hasnt worked. The gate valve is about 6 month old and doent feel like its got anything wrong with it.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No ,your wrong again !!
    Mains cold water introduced into the hot water pipework would travel into the distribution pipe at the top of the cylinder and therefore up the expansion pipe into the loft tank.

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

How did you connect cold to hot ,and is it mains cold water ?

11. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

mains cold water. Took both kitchen taps off and put a flexi hose on it.

12. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

the valve handle moves freely but dont no whats going on inside

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

When you did this ,did water come out of any upstairs hot taps whilst cold was running ?

14. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

dont think so

15. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

Garden hose an push in bathroom hot taps as well starting from lowest one

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

That's odd. Try again as xednim said above. You should get water ,albeit cold ,coming out of hot taps before the loft tank starts to spill out.

17. Nick1234

Nick1234 New Member

Sorry, cold water did come out of the hot tap

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

OK ,unlikely that you have an air lock ,but try this to rule it out completely...
    Connect cold mains into hot pipework. Close all hot taps except one that is the lowest in the house( if kitchen hot tap is not connected and no other hot tap on a low level,then open one anywhere).Run cold water until it comes out the open hot tap ,then close it ,and open another hot tap. When water flows from that one ,repeat until all hot taps are giving cold water. Then turn off the cold mains ,and put things back to " normal".( in other words whatever you did to allow you to connect cold mains into hot pipework , put back to original state). If you now open all hot taps ,and they work fine ,you had an airlock. I suspect they will all drain out after a few minutes and then you will get nothing . That means your gate valve is stuck closed.