Knee Protection while working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by silbchris, Aug 15, 2019.

1. silbchris

silbchris New Member

Hey guys,

Was thinking about investing in something a little more robust for knee protection. I see you can get strap-on knee pads, but they seem a bit overkill to me. Was maybe going to go for one of these kneeling mats instead.

The old joints aren't what they used to be!

Anybody on here got any ideas or tips?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

When fitting mine-laying rails to ships' decks, I wore Snickers trousers with knee-pads in pockets. They were great,but pricey. Nowadays,I use strap-on knee pads,which are fine. I find them easier, rather than re-positioning a mat. As you say, the old joints ain't what they used to be.

3. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

I can not get on with strap on knee pads as I spend more time walking than kneeling and I could never find any that would stay put. Pads are even worse, I have two, but they are never where I am going to kneel so I have to wander around trying to find them. I went with the pads in the trousers and they generally worked well but I found the soft sponge type did not last vey well getting through about one or two pairs per year. I eventually bought a pair of redbacks and although a bit expensive and bulky they have worked well and I am still on the first pair a few years on and my knees have not been complaining.

4. Same as HH. Dickies Eisenhower trousers with knee pockets. Works a treat.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Kneeling mat here, typically found in the gardening section.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

8. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

trousers with knee pockets but cut up a kneeling pad above ^ to snugly fill the knee pockets. May look daft but your knees will be happy ;)

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I use these

Redback knee protectors https://www.screwfix.com/p/redbacks-slide-in-protective-knee-pads/7505h
    ToughBuilt knee pads https://www.tradetiler.com/toughbuilt-gel-thigh-support-knee-pads.html
    and one of these kneeling pads https://www.tradetiler.com/products/knee-pads/ergopad-ergonomic-knee-cushion-previously-alpro.html

The Toughbuilt ones are really good especially if you are working on damp ground or floating concrete as they keep your knees dry. The other thing about them is that they grip on the thigh and shin, so they act like a knee support. The RedBack seem to fit all of the trousers I have (DeWalt, Site, Snickers etc.) without trimming.

I know a few guys whom say the gel ones from Aldi / Lidl are excellent for £5

malkie129 likes this.
  10. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

I agree with the above. Redbacks are a great kneepad. I've tried dozens of foam pads but after a few months they flatten out. Was reluctant to buy redbacks due to the price but after 12 months of wearing them every day, they still keep their shape. They're a bit on the heavy side so make sure you've got a decent belt!

11. PATRICE

PATRICE New Member

Made me smile

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

He got to chairs tied to his legs the big girls blouse

13. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got a pair of LIDL ones. They work well for me.