Maintenance free Junction Box

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Three Phazed, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

Morning all.

Does anyone know of a maintenance free jb that can be used to connect SWA to T&E? I have looked but am struggling to find one. This may be because the gland is non compatible with the requirements but it may be that I just haven't found it yet. Thanks.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Use a ConnexBox product. They make the "WagoBox" and wiothin the range is an IP68 rated capsule which are designed to be buried in soil &c so should be MF - check with them.
    https://www.connexbox.com/shop/wago...capsule-ip68-adaptable-junction-box-grey.html

Then use a gland https://www.connexbox.com/ip-68-corrosion-guard-swa-gland-11-16mm-1366.html or https://www.connexbox.com/shop/ip-66-cw20.html

With other entires using standard compression glands: https://www.connexbox.com/shop/cable-glands

Add Wago connectors and there you are.

longboat likes this.
  3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

You don't say if it is to be buried. My route would be to use crimp connectors on the live conductors and with the SWA, bunch them into a suitably sized crimp connector along with the CPC of the twin and earth. Wago's might be OK for the live conductors but its the SWA causing issues as most methods involve the use of a mechanical clamp. Take a look at a resin filled underground joint, they fulfil the criteria.

4. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

If its connecting to T&E I doubt it is buried, for an indoor connection I would use a galv adaptable box and wagos, what size cable are you talking about?

5. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

Hi all, sorry for the delay getting back, work got in the way...:)
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and suggest options.

The cable size is 1.5mm sq. The joint will be from the T&E switch drop to the SWA cable going to the external duct. The idea was to site the box inside under the floor as I did not want to have an external box on show. Will have a look at the connex box, to see if its viable.

Resin box at a push, though I have not seen it used for T&E before.

Once again thanks for your help.

6. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

In order to update on this mornings query, I spoke to the manufacturer of the Connex box this morning. Whilst it offers a IP68 rating, it does not meet the requirements of being classified as maintenance free. It is great idea, and at least I now know what to use at the other end of the cable now.

For the T&E to SWA I will go with the resin joint, as long as I can seal the opening with a suitable Bush it should be fine. Thanks for your help.

7. FlyByNight

An interesting comment from them - did they say why?

The normal Wago Box and WagoLight are MF when used with the appropriate connectors.

8. Three Phazed

Three Phazed New Member

They said the box was designed for external use to provide a IP rated junction box for garden lighting applications. It was not designed to be maintenance free and so had not classified as such.

Have the resin kit now, so will be busy this weekend. Thanks all who suggested solutions.

9. FlyByNight

But they say it can be buried under tarmac (with suitable precautions for heavy loads) - surely that would need to be MF. I will have to investigate further.

10. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Just use a Pratley underground box, MF connectors, fill with resin, job done

11. Bogle Crag

Why bother with expensive JBs and resin when it is located inside

12. Tony Goddard

Apologies, I missed the point about it being indoors!!, yes, absolutely a simple gavanised through box and wagos or crimps inside, easy and cheap!

13. Bogle Crag

Thats me all over..easy & cheap;)

14. FlyByNight

And that is NOT classsed as MF.

15. Bogle Crag

Earlier you said to use Wagos, why the about turn

16. Tony Goddard

No reason a BESA box cannot satisfy BS5733 for maintenance free provided that the cables are clamped correctly to prevent movement (SWA gland on one side and bar clamp gland or stuffing gland on the other side plus importantly MF rated connectors such as Wago or Ideal Splice Line.

17. FlyByNight

And WAGO connectors are only MF when in an approved box - READ THEIR WEBSITE. They cannot be put in any box of choosing, but one that they agree with.

18. Tony Goddard

Blimey calm down, The British Standard is very clear on the requirements for maintenance free and so long as those requirements are met then there is no issue, several manufacturers of galvanised BESA boxes list their product as compliant when used with appropriate connectors and glands. Wago can make whatever specification they like to try and force you to buy their boxes, but the connectors themselves have to pass the standards approval on their own merit. You are not tied to Wago, there are several other makes and types of connectors that are approved for maintenance free connections, if various products are put together in a design which complies with the standard and are all individually tested to that standard or other stated standards then there is no problem.

Bogle Crag likes this.
  19. FlyByNight

Wago do not make boxes they only state their connectors must be in boxes they approve/accept.

20. Tony Goddard

The do make a line of boxes, the well known and very good WAGOBOX, however these are not suitable to terminate an SWA as they do not have the facility (20mm knockout or female thread) to take a gland

http://www.wago.ltd.uk/enclosures/wagobox/

You could potentially adapt a WAGOBOX XL by drilling the side to take an SWA gland and earth it with a P nut