Chipped and yellow wood door frames

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Broadstairs, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

IMG_20190812_142207819.jpg Hi all

I have about 14 door frames, all pretty shoddy (see image) and as much as I'd like, no hope in having the time to sand, fill, resand, prime/undercoat, paint. See example image.

Tried gently filling the chips on one - disaster.

Can one of you more experienced guys let me know what my options are here. I assume if I throw four coats of gloss over the top it won't look too great!

TIA

2. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

I see some other people are saying that they use 'Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler' on thin patches of wood, make proud and then sand, but if that's my way forward, how do you get it to sit properly on 1mm of paint chip?

3. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

In the meantime, while seeing if I get any better ideas here, I have just got hold of some Ronseal kit and some knifing putty too and will mix and match on different areas and see whether one is better and also maybe whether a bit of judicious splodging means I don't have to do every crevice or chip.

Unless I get told otherwise ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

In a nutshell, if you simply give them a flick over then lash on the paint, even 4 coats, your right, that aren’t gonna look that much better ...... paint doesn’t hide any damage / imperfections, it often highlights these areas

No quick miracle here, partially depends on how good you want to get the frames looking, bit of skill but more technique, and simply time ......cost is nothing major here, even buying primer / Undercoat / topcoat / fillers / caulk / 14 doors dunno..... £50-60 approx

Yep the Ronseal wood filler 2 part is great for this and yes, you can sand it to a glass like finish and feather it out to zero. Sets rock solid, ready to sand in ten mins (dependant on depth) and isn’t too bad to sand actually

Just mix up small quantities at a time and work quick with it and be ready to start filling as soon as mixed ..... don’t mix then flick on the kettle, go for a wazz, read the paper, etc

Mix and get it on

Sand down with P120 then a light P180. If you’ve massively overfilled, remove excess with P60 but excess only as this grade of paper will scratch the filler and surrounding frame

Then it’s sand down entire frame, remove any loose paint, fill again, dust, wash down, dry, primer, Undercoat (or combined) then 2 topcoats

For sanding the frames and profiles, pick up abrasive sponges, come fine, med, course, brilliant for this work where there’s profiles and contours where sandpaper won’t reach

Can use them dry or wet and even wash them out when they get clogged to give them a 2nd life

Sure not quick, especially with 14 doors :eek:

Can you break this job down and do a ‘few’ at a time, when time allows ?

Can get the frames looking really good again but need to invest time basically - good luck :)

5. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

Cheers Dave. Yes, I can take the worst of the most obvious ones and work my way through to the back end ones. But I have some time pressures which means I don't have too long to do it all top spec.

Will try the first one, makes some errors, see how long it takes and then take a view for the rest. Cheers!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Remove the lose paint and simply run a bead of paintable frame sealant along the damaged cracked and damaged areas, keep it simple life is too short.

7. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

Good call, Astramax.

8. fff

fff Active Member

I’ve been working on exactly this project for the past two days (and nights). I’ve been taking old paint off too with a scraper but I’ve damaged the frames even more at the same time. They are 45 year old frames and quite bashed about but I’m going to try the Ronseal wood filler method recommended above. I want to get it perfect if possible.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I like your determination and attitude when you say 'I want to get it perfect if possible' :)

If its your property and your diy'ing this, then absolutely why not .... go for it !

Materials are cheap, its just the labour that takes time but then again, as diy, our labour is free. Yeah sure, there's always other stuff to do but if you wanna make a pukka job of those door frames, then so be it, stuff the other distractions, pour yourself a nice drink of something, get some bangin tunes on the blast and get stuck in

You'll pick up the knack from the first door frame and speed and tips will increase with each frame
    Especially how to work with the Ronseal filler, basically mix up sm batches, work fast and don't contaminate fresh batch with old filler - setting time will reduce to practically zero

I really like the Acrylic Leyland Primer Undercoat, often mentioned on this forum as well. Its got loads of body and almost acts as a fine filler to even out very minor blemishes (cant get away without filling though) But when all filled and sanded, 2 good coats of the Leyland and a light rub down P180 will give a great base to paint on

Nice to hear your going for perfection ..... good luck and enjoy :)

10. fff

fff Active Member

Thanks! I have just finished my front door- not damaged wood but still lots of prep and I took absolutely ages but it is perfect. I agree with the tunes and the drink going I don’t mind taking my time.
    Incidentally I have just become a home owner after 30 years of renting and many years of diy- I do everything- plumbing- electrical etc but now I own my home it’s even more worthwhile.
    I do understand the other comment about not wasting time though. It’s just a balance I suppose and like you say- the labour is free so as long as it’s not too stressful I think it’s worth it.

11. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

What Ive been doing - mostly - is sand, wipe down, either prime/undercoat or straight first coat of gloss. Step back, look at the gouges, what I need to fill (the white paint seems to bring out the imperfections) fill, sand, repaint. And in the meantime the all over white means that all the door frames don't look like a plague of rabid dogs have been chewing at them!

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In the photo you can see the original shellac finish where the paint has failed to to stick to it ....after preparation prime the exposed dark areas with Zinsser BIN.

Broadstairs likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

40 years ago I disassembled a staircase spindles and handrail and got them dipped in a caustic tank, really came up a treat fetching all the paint off, looked great when rebuilt.

14. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

We had one here until about two years ago. But it closed because the lady who operated it and used to get into the tank to agitate it with her waders got some (assumedly related) illness. Pity in both respects as it was cheap to take our doors down. Not so easy with doorframes.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The architrave will come off, chemical strip the frame with a paint remover.