Need to sort this bathroom out

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bond007, Aug 22, 2019.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys

This bathroom is for a rented property.
    Need to make it so it's leak proof, less headache with tenants.

Put cladding on the back wall or tiles? A trim round the bath tub?.. I've removed all silicone.

How can I put a shower rail?

Also if I wanted to put a shower head, where would I put it?

Attached Files:

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

cladding on the walls remove tiles and electric shower on the end wall.

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Unfortunately that bath is the type with the silly raised part at the end opposite to the taps.
    Personally with your bathroom I would prefer any type of shower to be on the wall at end of bath.
    A lot of baths are designed to have the standing area at the tap end, although not always a problem.
    You would be better with a flat top standard bath well installed. Tap end could be reversed, but might then mean a person taking a bath would have their back towards the window, so not ideal.
    A plastic bath would need the top (length and ends) supported fully. Timber baton screwed to wall and/or silicone to seal bath edges to wall.

bond007 likes this.
  4. bond007

Whats about the wall length, clad or tile it?... Which is more cost effective option and less chances of leaks

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The tiles at lower level are the only place you need to be concerned they are watertight. To tile the higher parts would be safe to do so, if the rest is sound.
    Landlord I know used white pvc solid wall panels to glue to wall above tiles in similar situations where the wall above bath was a partly tiled.

6. bond007

Bit of a gap between the wall and tiles now.. Any point in putting a trim first then tiles? And other good methods to make it leak proof.

7. bond007

Also how to put a shower rail?
    One side has window so how to mount it. Orelse there a L shape one

8. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

it does look like a raised shell like sculptured back support,complete nightmare with falling water ;)

Fitting a bath designed for showering would be a solution,a fixed glass shower screen and a fixed shower head will all help in keeping the showering water contained ;)

Fitting a frame to support the new bath is usefull,dont forget the tenants may be using the shower/bath for more than bathing :p

Tile or panel all the walls.

Or for less rental stress,just dont include a shower. Have been asked in the past by landlords to remove any showers due to flooding etc ;)

kiaora, Heat and bond007 like this.
  9. bond007

I don't really fancy changing the bath as it's a good one.. Just want to make it so it's gives less headache with leaks etc.

Need a bath shower curtain rail right?.. A 90 degrees one... Any shouts which is a good one....

Also a bath trim any could around the seals then silicone after?

10. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

SF sell one by croydex. L shape with a ceiling stay.Its quiet robust ;)

Shower curtain rings with balls make moving the curtain easy,prevents people pulling it all down.

bryetech are worth looking at https://www.byretech.com/acatalog/Bath-Seal-Ultra10-kit-rectangular.html

11. bond007

To put wall cladding, would it start from above the tiles or remove the tiles and start from the bath trim?

12. bond007

Anyone?

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Possible to do either.
    As long as you make it waterproof it just depends on what work you want to do

14. bond007

Which is the normal way most do it. Above tiles or from Bath trim.
    Can I panel over the existing tiles without breaking them?

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You could glue the panels on top of tiles. Some jobs are done that way.
    The extra distance out might be too much on bath raised part though.
    Personally I would advise either to just do a neat job of using tiles or some sort of pvc panelling to fill in spaces flush above tiles, or - do the whole job professionally and rip bath out and renew everything.
    No point in a half hearted expensive fix

masterdiy likes this.
  16. bond007

PVC panelling or tilling, which is cheap option?

17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Depends on what tiles or panelling you buy and who does the work.
    PVC panelling would work out cheap if you were capable of cutting and gluing them on yourself.

18. bond007

Best way to break them two lines of tiles?

19. kiaora

kiaora Guest

If you want lees headaches, don’t fit a shower !

20. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Quote "Personally I would do the whole job professionally and rip bath out and renew everything.
    No point in a half harted expensive fix"

Get the job done right first time.
    If you have tenants, rip out, fit proper shower, tile all round. (properly)