Forum Support PMs - a compromise suggestion.

Discussion in 'Support' started by WillyEckerslike, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Hello Peter.
    I imagine that like me, many of us mourn the loss of personal messaging and the opportunities it brings to exchange details that would not necessarily be welcome in the public domain.

For example I have some timber that another member could make use of - it's free to him however I need to know his address to send it. All above board, perfectly legit - one member helping another.

Whilst I understand the original decision to remove the facility I have a thought about how it might be partially restored. We ask you first.

I'm thinking along the lines that there is a 'Request PM' button. We name the intended recipient - you (or the system) forwards it to the second party who either approves or denies the request.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Willy.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned before I removed the PM function on our forum as this was being used to abuse members and also was being used to discuss other members privately as well as some other strange activity.

As commercial activity is not allowed on our forum we would not encourage a buy and sell or even a swap shop area on our community. Which again could be abused by some which we could not control.

Your idea on how this would operate is also not possible on our system as it is, and would take a lot of work to implement for the few occasions it would be used for this purpose you intend of sending details out of public view.

Thanks for sharing the your thoughts and thinking of how to help other members.

Peter

3. WillyEckerslike

I tried.

Dam0n, KIAB and Astramax like this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Short answer Willy....................No!:(

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

......and don't forget your coat on the way out! :p

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

Otherwise it would be a missed coat (one for the decorators)
    Peter slammed the door pretty hard didn't he? CBA any more.

Astramax likes this.
  7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Willy, why not mention on an ordinary post, that the items are available if you go to gumtree. (that's where your details will be, & the other person will then be known to you)
    Place your item there, as its then free. (or on offer)

8. WillyEckerslike

Thank you
    I was using that as an example of one of the potential benefits of PMs - among others. In fairness @Sparkielev highlighted a downside as well although I expected my plan would have countered that anyway. I note that his post has mysteriously disappeared.
    I don't know anything about Gumtree - don't you end up with some personal details available to all who wish to pursue - email address or mobile number for instance?

9. WillyEckerslike

So why are members allowed to post with links to their business, YouTube channel, Facebook page etc in their footer/signature?

10. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Quote "
    I don't know anything about Gumtree - don't you end up with some personal details available to all who wish to pursue - email address or mobile number for instance?
    Its like evil bay, but free to list.
    You only need to put on a contact email or phone, so peeps can get in touch with you as the advertiser. (cos, that's what you need)
    You can then Delete the add. Simples.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

We allow members to add a homepage to a footer, should they wish.

There is a difference between having a company website as a footer on somebody actively engaging with others on the forum, and actively using our forum for a commercial purpose which is not allowed.

If someone started posting I have this item on Gumtree, Ebay etc, again this would be using our forum for gain and these posts will be removed.

12. WillyEckerslike

Thank you for clearing that up.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You could use another forum for their pm facilities and just keep this forum as public viewing.
    Other forums seem to allow PMs and just police it if they get any complaint.
    Would mean those you wish to pm having to join your other forum. :(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you seen today's 'Deal of the Day'. :confused::D

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The PM's are useful on times especially when you see a forum post especially and go really ? Is that what I think I am reading?
    Quite a saving over the competition

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes but I want to sell my TORMEK.

17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Not sure why my post was removed, but will say I like this forum many good and clever people on here, I don't use any other forums so can't compare this one to any other and it is a pity the PMs went but I am glad they are gone

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I like this forum also but it has a major fault, I'm unable to push the like button on my own posts! :p:D

Heat and Sparkielev like this.
  19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Just create multiple accounts - then you can like yourself, even have arguments with yourself. Not that any of the ex-member used to do that :rolleyes:

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can even report your own spam!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.