Laminate Floor Installed - opinions please :-)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by CKUK, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good man. :)

2. CKUK

CKUK New Member

We wouldn't mind paying for the doors to be trimmed, but we've been told that don't trim doors(!)

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You shouldn't be cutting the door frames to fit laminate flooring - just cut the laminate for a snug fit. You should undercut the architrave and the skirting board (if you're not going to remove and refit it) which allows for movement of the flooring and looks best. Beading is the most common solution but doesn't look so good.
    You might want to undercut planted doorstop depending on whether the flooring continues through the doorway into another room.
    Just my opinion of course but based on that I would be disappointed with the work carried out so far.
    If the doors don't open freely any more they need easing/trimming to suit. That often means removing the door but not always.

Astramax likes this.
  4. CKUK

CKUK New Member

My misunderstanding, yes I did mean architrave and not the actual door frames (you can tell I don't fit flooring!) :)

WillyEckerslike and Astramax like this.
  5. When looking at the job, they should have told you that the doors would possibly need trimming. You can more or less tell this just by looking and not even needing to measure.
    They should then have given you a price to trim each door that needed trimming, if saying they did not trim doors this would start alarm bells ringing with me.

CKUK likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Same here....cut architrave up to frame. :oops:

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Often the case when you have new carpets fitted that the doors will need trimming afterwards

Now if you’ve had in carpet fitters, fair enough, they ain’t gonna trim the doors and it’s left down to the homeowner to then source someone else to carry out this task - that’s acceptable

But you’ve used this firm for painting and decorating and now laminate floor fitting. So you would assume some degree of woodworking / carpentry skills would be evident and even required

Same as if you’ve laid laminate yourself as a diyer. Takes some degree of skill to pull of a neat job. The bulk of the floor is easy, it’s the fiddly bits around skirtings, doorframes, pipes, etc that really separates the good from the bad

If this outfit has taken on a professional paid job to lay laminate, then they ‘should’ be able to trim down a few doors

Yes I agree this should be charged as an extra per door, possibly a better rate if there’s 5/6/7 or so doors that all need trimming

But this should be made clear at the first site visit and put down in writing in their estimate / quote

To leave you on the lurch and say we don’t trim doors is rather unprofessional and clearly shows them as chancers

If your happy with their previous decorating jobs, then that’s great and hopefully they do a good job

Sounds like they’re trying to cover all bases and be multi trade when really they should stick to what they know

Again, those nails in Scotia trim tell you all you need to know about these guys

Good luck

8. CKUK

CKUK New Member

It would have rung alarm bells, but we didn't know that they didn't trim doors until we came home and the doors were scuffing against the new laminate floor :-(

9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

That’s y they need to be undercut

10. What I was trying to say was, when they were initially looking at the job they should have informed you that the doors would possibly need trimming.
    If they had done this and said they do not trim them, it would have made you wonder about their capabilities, which you know now are non existent.

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'm a bit late to this one and after reading others polite replies i think the only other thing to add is why have they used trims between the doors when the flooring is passing straight through? It looks terrible, IMHO. Admittedly thats a very minor point considering the total shambles they've left you with.
    If they think this standard of work is acceptable on any job I'd be having a closer inspection of their previous decorating attempts.

12. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

While the work done for the OP is unacceptable it is not as bad as the person I know who offered to fit a laminate floor for someone he knew. As there was a slight hump in the floor he decided that rather than stagger the joints he would line the joints up across the hump! I never heard how unsatisfied the customer was but I can imagine.

13. CKUK

CKUK New Member

Evening all,

Thank you for your help today.

Well, we've come home tonight and I've attached pictures of what we've walked into.

It's tidier than it was but it's really not good enough.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

14. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

That is a lot better. Unless you have all the skirting removed and all the architraves undercut and the old flooring removed and the existing floor levelled then it is never going to be a good job. Laminate is what it is. At least it no longer looks like your rabbit was used for the cutting

CKUK likes this.
  15. CKUK

CKUK New Member

What do you mean 'the existing floor levelled'? This was never something that was discussed. Is this something that could have been done?

16. CKUK

CKUK New Member

We just feel like we got a cheap job and we didn't want a cheap job. We're only planning on doing this job once and we would rather have paid more to get someone who could do the undercuts. It never crossed our mind that we would be left like this :-(

17. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

On the straight sections of trim that stop and start at the doors, it’s usual to finish the trim with a return

So instead of just a blunt cut to finish, you mitre at 45 degrees and run a short trim (also cut at 45) back to wall

Surely anyone laying a floor in a professional capacity knows this ?

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Whenever I've quoted for laminate flooring i always make it clear that the skirting must be removed and either re-fitted or, replaced with new boards.
    Most skirting is cheaper and looks a whole lot better than that nasty tacky, fall-offy scotia trim anyway

Alwaysworking and Hfs like this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It is an improvement and the results reflects the skill level of the guys I suspect.

Based on what you've said, and what we've seen, I honestly don't think that they've set out to rip you off (unlike some charlatans) but they've reached the limits of their abilities. Tries hard, could do better...