Boris

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Good old Boris. I'm so pleased he's scared the stuffy MPs witless, those who refused to do the will of the people with their scare tactics. It needed someone like that to take Parliament by the scruff of the neck and knock some sense into it.

Roll on Independence Day October 31st. Parties and celebrations are planned by my neighbourhood.

just pumps, CGN, dinkydo and 7 others like this.
  2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

See what happens in next couple weeks. All hell is breaking loose in the commons!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2019-8-29_20-12-4.jpeg

just pumps, Heat and Owd Midge like this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

So far, so good with Boris.
    He has been stubborn in his public statements to Europe.
    Good on him! First British Prime Minister showing determination in a long time.
    Let the MPs that don’t like it to form their own party

just pumps and Joe the Plumber like this.
  5. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

He's setting up for a general election for if that has to happen, also for blaming the EU if things don't work out and probably preparing for a budget style give away at some point with money that was supposedly going to be used to pay off debt. Jam tomorrow - bring down crime, improve education. I don't think even the tory faithful take much notice of that. However he is likely to be able to claim he is blameless. Saw him walking hands clasped behind his back recently. Thinks he is Churchill. Another of the silly idiots pointed out that we beat them in the trenches and we will do it again. If only we did. Just needed the USA and an army from an empire.

:) When we are out we are going to be a bit short of trading partners.

A couple of weeks ago I heard a woman arguing that the EU etc was against the UK constitution Have to laugh and I'll bet some on here reckon we have one as well. A quote

Unlike most modern states, Britain does not have a codified constitution but an unwritten one formed of Acts of Parliament, court judgments and conventions. Professor Robert Blackburn explains this system, including Magna Carta's place within it, and asks whether the UK should now have a written constitution.

That's from 2015 and we still don't have one.

John
    -

6. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Got to agree with you on this Harry, it’s just a shame she didn’t go much sooner

Attached Files:

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Boris gets a right old slating on some forums i visit.

To be honest, i like him. I like the way he is determined to sort things out.

just pumps, KIAB, gadget man and 2 others like this.
  8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Boris will get the deal agreed by the EU by ditching the DUP and the backstop which will allow him to put the borders at the ports for the whole of Ireland. He has nothing to loose, he has no majority in the house and he does not now have to please anyone but himself.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

But that will never go through the house; he can agree whatever he wants with the EU, if it won't get a majority it's a pointless exercise. In my opinion he is now a dead man walking, can see no way for him to get out of this one.

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Boris cannot do that!
    Also he does still have more than just himself to please. The EU would have to agree to this imaginary solution. The British and Irish people would have to agree to it.

Backstop = border on Irish Sea for indefinite period, so not allowed under the GFA.
    Borders at ports in rest of U.K. for the entire island of Ireland = border on Irish Sea plus literally a change of U.K. status for part of Ireland, so not allowed under GFA.

That goes completely against the Good Friday Agreement (GFA) and whilst I have always viewed that very Agreement as being a failure in many respects and appeasement to terrorists, I would say to all those people who do use it as an excuse to scaremonger against Brexit, including Sinn Fein and the Irish Taoiseach, that you cannot pick and chose the GFA for your own interests and excuses and then not adhere to some parts set in place.

Good luck trying to walk over British people. Time and time again it has been tried.

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Oh dear. You are typical of what you represent. An unbelievable narrow view of things. It would take way too many lines to explain why you are wrong and there isn't any point anyway.

Walk all over the British people - we are walked all over every day by all sorts especially those that run the country. Most of the brexit MP's wont accept a boarder in Ireland full stop. Good reasons as well which leaves a bit of a problem. The EU is a controlled market and because of that must have boarder checks for things are not from the EU.

It's so easy to say project fear isn't it. That is why some one came up with the term. What it doesn't mean is that there is no need to fear it, Guess you might also say well we beat them in the trenches etc. You might not but Brexit MP's do if they think the audience is receptive to that sort of ****.

John
    -

12. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

ponder this Boris will hand this over to trump when we get into bed with him

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I actually think my points have completely gone over your head.

And I quote you, -
    “Oh dear. You are typical of what you represent. An unbelievable narrow view of things”

Please do tell me what I do represent? And how my view would be narrow?

I was actually using my post to reply to Bob Rathbone’s previous post.
    One of my main points was the strange approach Remainers here and some anti Brexit Irish people say the GFA could be under threat, but then many of same people say we should have borders in Irish Sea, and/or just ignore the one section of NI. :eek:
    Does anyone honestly think they could get away with this?
    Surely that is very narrow thinking indeed?

14. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

The USA aren't keen on the EU due to the number of people in it. Population is one of the usa's biggest advantage.

They did see it as a bit of a joke in some ways because they thought it would never get all of the people in it to work together. On the other hand an increasing number of products from it has been ending up there. In some ways that's good for them as some countries are inclined to try and control the value of the dollar by buying it as it falls. That keeps it's value up. When Japan did that it eventually caused problems for themselves - along with insane property prices and real growth. The UK and the USA and some others don't have real growth any more as the trade gap continues to get bigger and bigger so growth to them is mostly the amount of money the country spends. Even inflation and so called financial easing increases it. Easing also devalues the currency pro rata.

To be honest I see the current situation as being similar to Hitler in an odd sort of way. People aren't that happy for one reason or another with all sorts of things and it then becomes rather easy for a politician to blame that on almost anything they like. In practice they can not do anything about the real reasons for people feeling as they do. In Hitler's case the reason was WWI. In the current case it's basically something called business and profit plus jobs. Living standards may come into it as well. Things can not return to how they were a fair few years ago now as it's all gone. That's the word to concentrate on GONE, The EU has nothing to do with that.

John
    -

15. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Not the eu us we will be part of the good old us of a in one shap or another watch this space

PhilSo likes this.
  16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

How the remainers can be so openly entrenched by their ideological views is beyond me.
    At least the leavers have democracy on their side.

Joe the Plumber and Heat like this.
  17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

and the moral high ground.

But am sure that will further offend the die hard Remainers. :)

While on the subject, I have friends that voted Remain. Most of them now want Leave and as soon as possible.

Joe the Plumber and longboat like this.
  18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yeah well, i don't get that impression from the likes of the BBC, C4N, ITV or sky-uk.;)

Perhaps the cartel of anti-democrats that are selling their souls to prevent brexit can invent yet another excuse as to why they are suddenly refusing to enable a 'democratic' election.
    The propaganda suggests they'd win by a country mile.

If Boris continues to try his best to do what he said he'd do, then he will have my full support.
    The ensuing outrage from the remainers adds a welcome bonus too.

Joe the Plumber and Heat like this.
  19. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Democracy depends on people being given accurate information.

John
    -

MalcyB likes this.
  20. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

It will be interesting to see what he will do if we do not leave on October 31 as he has said he would rather be "dead in a ditch". It is quite clear now that we will not be leaving on the 31st

It is now more than likely that if, and I stress if, we ever leave it will be with a deal that is just a slightly watered down version of being a full member of the EU. If I was a betting man I would say we are not not going to leave. There will be another referendum triggered by whoever is in power following the general election that is now almost certain to be coming - the vote will be to remain. The Brexit party will fade away, gradually, to nothing after bleating for a while about the death of democracy, the definition of which is a moving feast.