Rad piping

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Robster52, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Robster52

Robster52 New Member

20190826_213359 (002).jpg

My builder is struggling to fit new rads because of floor joist position and noggins in the way of piping vertically. He's said the best he can do is this. It's not very pretty and the pipes will be painted but are there any other options?

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Yes,

Even leaving the pipes that come through the floor where they are, its quite possible to hide the horizontal pipes just behind the bottom of the radiator, then bring them to the lockshields/TRV with a wee bend down, a 90 elbow to come forward then long street elbow directly into the compression fitting.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Robster52

Robster52 New Member

Cheers Hans, I suggested running against bottom of rad but he said only option was to run along floor. Likely to have a problem with vacuum if did that

4. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Why can't they run under the floor - notching joists if need be and bending around any joists that can't be notched?

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

This is what I meant, like this, see how the pipe is mostly hidden?:

[​IMG]

b4xtr, The Teach and KIAB like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A bit messy.

As in Han's photo, I would have brought both pipes up one end & ran one up behind radiator.
    And I also say that radiator is a bit small for that room.

Think the builder should stick to building & find a decent plumber.:D

Heat and Hans_25 like this.
  7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

The other end of the rad...

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  8. Robster52

Robster52 New Member

I think the noggins are directly under the rad pipes. Says u can't notch noggins and I think he's right on that front

9. Robster52

Robster52 New Member

That's what I was thinking off. I'll show him this. Cheers

10. Robster52

Robster52 New Member

I thought it looked small but he said that's all u need these days... room is 2.6m x 2.9m

11. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I had that problem once, but they plumber just bent the pipe to curve around it a little.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can’t the noggins be cut out, pipes run neatly then noggins replaced in a slightly different position ?

They’re only there to stiffen up joists and stop any twisting. Not super critical if they’re moved 100mm left or right

Of course, it’s always easier when viewing from your keyboard, that I realise but .......... those pipes would annoy the heck outta me (you as well it seems)

What type of rad is it ?
    Double panel double convector .... looks like it’s got a lot of work to do :confused:

Heat likes this.
  13. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Robster52,Them short vertical pipes will get in the way of the skirting board (if a skirting board is to being used)

The rad can be piped in any fashion,heck its 2019 and so easy to conceal pipes and make a neat job of it.Builders doing diy plumbing :( omfg.

As mentioned by ^ DiyDave the size of the radiator matters,he knows about sizes :p

tbh,we dont know the room heat requirements but to keep it all looking neat a radiator same length as the window will look better and spread the radiator heat output around the room much better.

Butt there are many but's.

Heat and KIAB like this.
  14. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Standard room rad for a standard room is around 1.5Kw, what's the output of that Rad?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Around 700w I reckon,maybe a bit less.

Hans_25 likes this.
  16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Just got a Stelrad 700 x 700 triple for the kitchen, 1.9Kw :)

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Will be nice & toasty on those cold winter mornings.:)

18. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Toasty might be a tad optimistic, hopefully no longer freezing cold. Got 3 weeks off in Oct to take out the kitchen/lounge wall and rebuild the main spine wall so as to create a bigger kitchen. Oh, and rewiring the whole house while all the ground floor ceilings are down :oops:

19. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

A bit of a mess to be honest.
    I can’t think of any real reason why the pipes couldn’t go straight into each valve.
    The pipes also look squint and he’s burnt the wall.

Heat likes this.
  20. Robster52

Robster52 New Member

It's a double panel single convector 600x600, 2897 btus at 70deg c. According to calculator room req is 1707 so should be well in