Wiring a socket in kitchen from garage circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by James Duke, Sep 10, 2019.

1. James Duke

James Duke New Member

Hi all.

I would like to power a TV mounted to a wall in the kitchen, there are no nearby sockets in the kitchen to plug into or take a spur from. However on the reverse side of the wall there are sockets in the garage wired into a seperate garage circuit.

How can i legally get power to the TV from the garage? I assume it would be dangerous to spur through the wall as it would be live when the kitchen circuit is off.

Can i take a fly lead through the wall, plugged into one of the garage sockets, or take the TV power cable through the wall?

Thanks in advance..

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

As long as the socket in the garage is on a ring or radial (its not a spur), just take a spur off of that to a 13A socket in the Kitchen.

3. James Duke

James Duke New Member

Hi Hans_25. Thanks for the response. The garage is on it's own ring and the socket in question is on the circuit not a spur. I assume then there is no issue with a socket in the kitchen being powered from the garage.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No problem with that, (make sure the garage circuit is rcd protected though.)

5. James Duke

James Duke New Member

Hi seneca. Thanks for the response, yes the garage ring has it's own breaker in the main consumer unit.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It has its own breaker (MCB), but Seneca asked about the presence of an RCD. Is there one protecting the garage circuit?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It is good practice to try to get the sockets in an area fed from the same circuit, ultimately though there will be a crossover point from one area to another, and there are reasons why it isn't feasible or practical on occasions.
    If power needs to be removed, from any point in the future, testing should always be undertaken to confirm that that point is indeed safe to work on.

Never take for granted that an mcb labelled 'kitchen', for example, kills all sockets in the kitchen.

Hans_25 likes this.
  8. James Duke

James Duke New Member

Hi.

I can't get a photo to upload, but what I have in the main consumer unit are two banks of 5 mcb's each. 6A 16A or 32A depending on what they run. Each bank has an RCD and then there is the master switch.

The garage is on a 32A mcb.

The garage is part of the house so to speak, not detached and no SWA etc...

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If you have upload probs. Try the “upload a file” button. You can even pull a pic from a SmartPhone library that way.

10. James Duke

James Duke New Member

Cheers Bazza,

It's saying the pic is too big. I can't reduce the file size on my mobile so I need to reduce the resolution and take another one

Bazza likes this.
  11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've got an app called "photo and picture resizer", works a treat.