Quadrant beading offcuts

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by My Home Farm, Sep 10, 2019.

1. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

An unusual question, and one that requires creative hats to be put on.

I have a punnet full of oak quadrant offcuts - I've laid close on 90m of beading this week.

I don't want to just chuck them or burn them, and was wondering if you guys had any creative ideas.

2. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

I tried to, but my stomach wooden digest them.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Use them to make picture frames with offcuts of flooring, make lanterns , or mount them edge to so that the quadrant makes a "v" kids love them to make marble runs.

upload_2019-9-10_21-16-35.png

That's what I do with my moulding or keep it to make pieces of decorative trim. Sometimes even resort to using the as plant labels.

Rarely get rid of any timber - tiny off cuts go into a wood burner, even saw dust gets recycled in to fire lighters.

KIAB likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

or use the for edging for giant letters - another use for offcuts

upload_2019-9-10_21-24-23.png

5. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

That's brilliant - never thought of that. Nice suggestion.

6. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

I also like the lantern idea - will see if I have enough to make that.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Look for the instructions which use Petroleum jelly, cotton wool, candle wax and sawdust. These work the best and Petroleum Jelly from a poundshop works as well as the well known brand.

If you want some fun as the days get colder and nights draw in have a look at Swedish Torch. Perfect when you are working outside

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You want paraffin wax,old muffin/bread tins make good moulds,can use paper cake cases in the muffin tins, as you can pick them up cheap in pound shop,make it easier to get them out of tin, & bread tins,I use tin line with newspaper.

Shouldn't need Petroleum Jelly,if using paraffin wax.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not for firelighters and bread tins way to big. I use small silicone molds as they are reusable and the firestarters pop out easily and you don't need to buy cases. The paraffin wax burns differently to something like soy wax

The firelighters are a modified old school survival technique original derived from what you woudl find in a first aid kit. The idea is that you rub petroleum jelly into the cotton wool. This actually slows down the burn on the highly inflammable cotton wool. Put the saw dust in a mold and the cotton wool on top then pour on melted wax. This then seals in the cotton wool and is absorbed into the saw dust. You then have waterproof fire starters that you can carry in pockets whilst you are hiking or camping or even stacked next to a fire. When you want to light a fire you scrape a hole in the wax and fish out some cotton wool. Then just light what is sticking out.

a round 50mm fires starter will burn for about 20 mins good enough to start a fire or heat a mug of water. My daughter sometimes adds essential oil which acts like an air freshener while they are stacked up.