Replacing electric hob

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sally green, Sep 9, 2019.

1. sally green

sally green Active Member

Hi

I have an old kitchen that I will be doing up hopefully next year.

Question is that my electric hob an integrated one, three of the rings are not heating
    up and only one works. It is of the solid electric hob type I've learnt when looking at electric hobs.
    Link below.

How much to replace, ie the labout cost inc vat/etc for like for like, please?
    Or repair possibilities and cost in vat/etc. I will need the electric minor works papers.
    Thanks

https://www.diy.com/departments/coo...D9mJJLxxhfEtAGlTFhxoCAMIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No minor works certificate needed if it's a replacement or repair.

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I suspect repair wouldn't be cost effective. Labour to replace wouldn't be much but make sure it fits the existing cut out in the worktop. Or certainly that the new one isn't smaller!

4. sally green

Just as I thought, ie the repair not being cost-effective. The hob was 2 years old last week according to the paperwork, 2 year warranty I got when I bought this house.
    I will investigate same sized electric hobs, hopefully, about 70 quid and 40 pound take out and fit. I had a look and all it is is that it is clipped in and wire to the fixed socket.

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Sounds like plan ! Good luck

6. sally green

Update: The size is pretty standard, so a like for like costing about 60 quid. Labour, my partner will fit as i's just a wire that runs into a dedicated socket, needs direct connection. Removal is a few clips and scraper to remove the mastic. An electrician quoted us 60 inc VAT, lol, no way matey!

7. Do you work for nothing?
    The Electrician has got to travel to and from the job, for this he uses diesel or petrol which he has to pay for, also van insurance, liability insurance, and wear and tear on the van.
    He also has to pay for membership of any scheme he is in, he does not get sick or holiday pay or a pension.

Therefore £60 for your job inc vat is not expensive, why do people think tradesmen should be charities?

Jja90, RolandK and WillyEckerslike like this.
  8. sally green

Never said that. It is a very simple task for someone with the knowledge and like for like job. I looked up someone that lived in the same area as me ie
    about 5 mins travel. 40 pound tops, in my opinion, leaves him after costs about 35 pounds an hour.

FYI, 3/4 years ago I got three quotes for replacing a ceiling pendant and the lowest was 30 pounds and the highest was almost 90 pounds and the other quote was 45 pounds, so the 60 pounds for the one quote for something as simple as that was expensive.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, it varies. And you have to factor in people who quote high for little jobs like this.
    Either they just don’t want the job at all, or they have found that it’s impossible to make a full day’s work from 3 or 4 little jobs. Much better to have jobs that are at least half a day.

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

A Gas Safe chappy would charge more than that for connecting up a gas hob. £60 is an hours work.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I see your point £60 does seem alot for installing an oven, but for that I would expect the sparkie to do relevant testing before installing to make sure everything is safe, maybe some one cheaper would fit it and hope for the best

12. It is a Hob Sparkie and is more work as you know than an Oven. An Oven will more than likely need to be removed to fit the Hob, then refitted after Hob is fitted making extra work.

Sparkielev likes this.
  13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

And how do you KNOW what his costs are. I have fitted lots of replacement hobs in my time. They are not always st8 forward!!!

Sparkielev likes this.
  14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Yeah not sure why I thought it was a oven but principles are the same with testing before installing

nigel willson likes this.
  15. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

£60 is reasonable for a hob replacement, if it is a quote then thats all you will pay. The electrician has to make a living, small jobs are relatively more expensive because time getting to and from them limits how many can be achieved in the day - remember that 20% of that amount approx goes to the sparks income tax bill, he's not on PAYE, he has to run his van, pay his insurance, pay his pension, maybe pay the VAT man - it's not a get rich quick scheme, its darn hard graft to make a good living in this game!

Bazza likes this.
  16. sally green

Thanks all. 40 pounds is more than zero pounds and it is a 30 min job tops for a skiller man. Many cry about not having work yet turn their nose up at having the chance to gt 40 quid cash in hand. All help appreciated. x

17. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

"Cash in hand" the false believe that the job will be cheaper if the customer entices a tradesman to break the law.

I am sure you can find an unqualified, uninsured, un-registered so-called spark to do it for £25. There are plenty about, you could try a recommendation from BBC Rogue Traders.

Personally, as a qualified, insured and registered electrician, I do not take cash and would invoice £55 for such a job.

It is your choice and you will get what you pay for.

Jja90 and Hans_25 like this.
  18. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I take cash, but it goes through the books like any other payment method and attracts no discount as I still have to pay tax on it!

Jja90 and Bazza like this.