Aluminium door help!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ElleB, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ElleB

ElleB New Member

We have recently moved into a house where it has a 1980's Everest aluminium porch with a glass door. We would like to put in a cat flap and would ideally like, to either replace the door with one where we can cut a hole in a panel(wooden or upvc?) or take the side window out and infill this with something. Not sure where to start or which would be the easiest & least costly.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo,will help us.:)

ElleB likes this.
  3. ElleB

ElleB New Member

4. ElleB

ElleB New Member

Of course. Good idea

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

You can get double glazing with cutouts in them. Find a local DG supplier and ask if they can make coplect shapes or ones wityh a circular hole. If so, source the cat flap and get a new panel made that will incorporate a hole in it.

ElleB likes this.
  6. ElleB

ElleB New Member

Thank you. I think that would be our last option due to the cost, I've heard this can be expensive . We're looking for a cheapish fix we could hopefully do ourselves.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Give the cat a door key!:D can't get cheaper than that...:)

Won't be cheap to replace that glazed unit with a cat flap, what about using the back door, any easier.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  8. ElleB

ElleB New Member

This is the back door I thought maybe we could remove the glass and buy those filler type thingys, we had one on our last door, but not aluminium. Could the door not be replaced?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Doubt it, unless you could find a old Everest half glazed door on Ebay.

10. ElleB

ElleB New Member

Oh well:( Thank you for taking the time to reply. Looks like Pumpkin will be grounded for a bit longer :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Is that a wooden door surround,or aluminium pretending to be wood,hard to see on phone,wonder how it's been fixed to glazed units,hard working from photo:)

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

And what about the cat?

Glass that size and location will be toughened so you wouldn't find a glazier to cut it either I'm afraid.

Is it feasible to cut a hole elsewhere? More of us cut cores through walls than glass on a regular basis... Just a thought.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Core drilled a hole through shed wall & squared it up,fitted ply liner & cat flat for a neighbour's cat a few years ago, & neighbour here want same done.
    The cat flap I fitted was smart one, it was registered to the cat's own micro chip,so no other cat chipped or not could get in.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  14. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

You could remove the glass on one side of the door,and replace it with a upvc panel of same thickness with hole for cat flap.It would cost perhaps £100,and cut down your light into the room.
    You could of course keep the glass to refit in future when you didn’t have a cat.

15. FlyByNight

16. ElleB

ElleB New Member

Mike58 and Baxi Boy that is exactly what I had in mind. Is it easy to remove the glass from an aluminium frame or would we need a pro? We are not worried about the lack of light as the whole thing is glass and it's only used as a dumping ground :)

17. FlyByNight

Normally quite easy to remove. Each brand varies a little, you will probably need to remove a rubbewr sealing strip which makes the glass slightly loose and then lever out the trim - which could be inside or out.

You will need to do ity first to get teh exact measurements and then refit until te unit arrives.

18. Ceebee

Ceebee Active Member

You're not even bright enough not to include your business name in your username :rolleyes: