Breakfast worktop against a wall fixing

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by bond007, Sep 11, 2019.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys

Want to add a small breakfast worktop against a solid wall in the kitchen.

Around 850mm long and width of about 350mm

Best way to secure it against a wall?

I've bought some breakfast legs of 1100mm and Mount that under the worktop.

Batten the wall and rest the worktop on there and L shape brackets in?

Attached Files:

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

That would work fine. However it depends on if they will be seen and you want the fixing hidden?

Place a piece of 50x25 - nicely finished and painted on the underside of the worktop and join using hidden dowels. Leave them unglued to start.

Fix the 50x25 to the wall, plug and finish holes. Place worktop on dowels and adjust with fine spacers if required.

Glue dowels in place and a fine bead of silicon along the worktop to wall joint.

bond007 likes this.
  3. bond007

Thanks... Any other way instead of the dowels please too?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Stretcher plates between batten and work top, SF sell them, packs of ten, they won’t be seen unless you crawl under worktop

Cut batten say 100mm shorter than worktop and finish each end with a 45 degree cut, fit centrally to worktop (so 50mm overhang each side)

Again batten won’t be seen but if it is, looks better cut at 45 rather than a blunt end :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

When I fitted one, many years ago, I was fortunate as I was able to obtain a length of 40 x 40mm aluminium angle. I drilled & countersunk this in several places & used this to fix the work top to the wall. It worked very well.

6. bond007

2" x 1" not very think?
    might just put 3" x 2"
    more sturdy

7. FlyByNight

Perfectly adequate with 47x22 ! I have a 1500 x 900 table where te 900 rests on a length of 47x22 screwed to the wall.

8. bond007

9. FlyByNight

I like the new Fischer DUO range and rfemember that with plugs, do not use "cutter" type screws.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

CLS Totally over the top for job in hand

It’s a small breakfast bar and ur supporting front edge on legs and batten being fixed to solid wall - all good factors

What are you planning on doing on this small breakfast bar ? Strip down your car engine perhaps ?

Go bigger maybe ..... think floor joist size ...... at least 200x50mm to be safe :confused: (bigger also available)

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Not the first time you've been given really good advice which you then question. CLS is way over the top. 2x1 (in old money) is perfectly adequate. You also get more purchase in the wall with decent length screws. But hey.....

CGN, Astramax and bond007 like this.
  12. bond007

Appreciate your advice and will take it on board... Go with the 2*1 and Batten it in.

Will show you end results of teh renovation work before goes back out in rent..

Was only thinking of bigger Batten for more strength that's all.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  13. bond007

Purchase in the wall? Not following that sorry.

14. bond007

Was only thinking of that as i need to make a frame else where with a Batten. So thought one peice would do for both jobs

15. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Basically its not the wood that's supports the work top its the screws that fix the wood to the wall that stops it collapsing, size of wood required is just what is workable with for fixing screws into. In theory you could just have 2 screws fixed into wall and work top balanced on that or a couple of angle brackets fixed to wall.

Purchase into wall means depth/strength of fixing i.e. thing 1/2 inch long screws just going into plaster or 4 inch screws going all way through brickwork

bond007 likes this.
  16. bond007

Which wall plugs do use for long screws please?

17. Severntrent

Gauge / Metric equiv. / Masonry plug size
    4 / 3.0mm / Yellow(5mm hole)
    6 / 3.5mm / Red (6mm hole)
    8 / 4.0mm / Red (6mm hole) or Brown (7mm hole
    10 / 5.0mm / Brown (7mm hole)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  18. bond007

Don't mean to sound dumb but the long 4" inch screws won't fit these plugs will they?

Or you drill the hole to length of the screw and push the plug to the end of it?

19. Severntrent

Put 2 in and trim off excess if need be. 4" is a bit excessive 2.5" would suffice if its a simple plastered brick wall. If you want them that long you could always use window frame fixing anchors

20. bond007

Its a breeze block wall so 2.5" would be suffice as you say