Gas Meter re-siting, price too high! £3100

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jitender, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have had Cadent carry out a quotation to carry out a survey for resisting the meter.
    The current gas meter is located on the first floor, it a maisonette i'm in.

Was expecting to pay around £800-1000 for the work.

I already paid £428 to them to carry out the quotation as it was classed as a non-standard alteration.

The quote has come in at £3100 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is there any other co that can carry out this work other than Cadent. Yes i rang a few and most have said Cadent were going to be cheaper than them.

Really wanted the meter moved as its in the corner in the kitchen, so losing valuable space, but really not sure I won't to be paying this amount for the alteration.

i said I would do all the digging and making good afterwards. They only need the trench 350mm down so not deep at all.

I'm also in the process of moving the electric as well and WPD are only charging £250 for the work, with me doing all the digging and exposing the underground cable, so can't see where Cadent are getting their prices.

The plan was to put both meter on the side of a new porch I will be building.

Any help appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Here Cadent wanted about £1200 just move a meter from one wall to another, basically turning meter 45 degrees,& shorten yellow pipe by about 250mm.:eek::eek:

Jitender likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Very shocked at the quotation :eek::eek::(

I had a gas meter moved about 3-4 years ago at an old property from inside the basement to an external meter semi concealed meter box and it was only about £648. The work was carried out by National Grid at the time.

It involved digging up the trench as well, and pipework to new meter was about 3 meters.

I was expecting the price to be about £1200 max.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can't see how they can justify the quote.

I will be ringing them tomorrow, not happy but really want the meter out the kitchen and next to the electric meter on the porch.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Ask your gas supplier, may have their own team but usually its Cadent. Im afraid its very much a monopoly.

KIAB and Jitender like this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to try if I can get the price down.

If I go ahead, I would end up paying them over £3,500!!

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I asked site gas board guys and they moved. Cost less than £200. This was a few years ago. Maybe I cut out the middle man doing it this way. At the time they were moving meters from inside homes to outside for free but I missed my chance and was gutted I had to pay anything. Feel I got good deal now. That's ridiculous amount to pay though..

8. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Its leaking so they have to renew it for free you just forgot to tell them start again call them on there free phone number as its leaking and the will re run the supply if its steel to plastic

Dam0n and KIAB like this.
  9. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

I had one moved from inside to out because the connection to where the pipe popped out of the ground was a bit whiffy when I collected the keys to a property. The emergency chap who came in an hour didn't need much persuading.

The gang who came to replace it happily switched it to the outside "makes our job easier on the outside wall".

One of them later on said "you haven't knocked this joint with hammer have you?" in a nudge-nudge conspiratorial way. I asked the inspector when he came back to sign off the job if some people sabotage the connection with a tap. "Yeah, my mate did that once."

Jitender likes this.
  10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Rang Cadent today, on the phone trying to get hold of someone for almost 20 minutes!

Told them I am not happy with the quote. :mad:

They will ring me back tomorrow.

Basically job involves

T into 32mm main
    Laying 1m length of 32mm MDPE pipe.
    Blank of old end.

I will be doing the excavation work and making good, supplying and installing the meter box.

Literally only 3 hours work max :rolleyes:.

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Privatised utilities are always cheaper. Must be as that's what they tell us.

:mad:Who for though. It's certainly not us.

John
    -

12. kiaora

kiaora Guest

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Waiting for a call back today.

Although the job as they say is non-standard, the work isn't.

Other option I could have is change account to my mothers name and see if we can get it changed due to meter location being too difficult for her. It sited in the corner at ground level under a worktop.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Jit:If you mother is a 'priority customer' oap,disabled,on priority register, your can most likely move meter FOC,if it's in a bad location hard to use if pre payement, it might vary between energy suppliers, need to check latest info for this.

Jitender likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks Kiab, that's going to be plan B.

Current meter is awkward even for me. But mum has difficulties kneeling. Had knee operation a few years ago, and over pension age now.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Any problems with mum & meter moving, CAB might be useful for extra pressure.

17. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

does the external new alteration work involve a temporary isolation of any other properties ?

They want to do all that in the price,something to do with their contractor liability and not trusting diy workers around their new pipe alterations :(

Other considerations if in a leasehold or similar property are any need of consent and planning permission.yes its new to me aswell :(

Maybe the gas meter can be relocated internally,was a nice little earner back in the day :D

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes - the downstairs maisonette will be temporarily off during the work.

19. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

if its not too much trouble, could you post before and after pictures of the work?

20. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

if its not too much trouble, could you post before and after pictures of the work?

21. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got through to Cadent today, told them not happy about the pricing. Lady on other ends says that the priced is 'cheap' compared to other jobs :eek: she said it includes all the materials, even though materials cost has been put down a £9.45 on the quote

The quote is valid for 45 days, so either need to get further quotes from other utilities etc.

There is an option to install ducting, but need to confirm the specs with them. This means that most of the ground can be finished off until I decide to get the gas done.