Gravel drive way help

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Ramjam258, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Ramjam258

Ramjam258 New Member

Evening all,

Been in my house 2 years now and want to finally sort out the drive at the rear. It’s a mix currently of a bit of concrete, loose gravel and earth. See pictures.

My plan was to keep it simple, however not sure if this would work. My plan was to weed the area and lay a membrane and then cover in an inch or so of large gravel.

The house is in no means my forever home so reluctant to spend lots of money on something that I could sell in 3 years.

Would this work? Or does anyone have any other ideas.

Cheers

B4BED1E0-B50E-4092-B0DA-BFB571F8C3E7.jpeg 443CB2DA-2ACC-4C0D-A31C-FC115A59608F.jpeg

2. Mark Brister

Mark Brister Member

I agree, by far your cheapest option. A bit of Terram membrane and then some shingle/gravel. Don’t put the gravel in too think though, if you use a 10mm gravel I would go about 30mm thick, if you use a 20mm gravel I’d go about 50mm thick.

3. Mark Brister

Mark Brister Member

I would worry about weeding it either, the membrane will kill it once it’s covered.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One disadvantage with shingle/gravel, it will eventually end up everywhere except on the hardstanding, I would lay concrete, one time job.
    I would say you need around 2 tons at 50mm, & close to 4 tons at 100mm with shingle.

What size is the area.

Could use Mixamate or similar, will mix just the amount you need.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I you want to put a vehicle on it, a thin layer of chippings will not work. 50mm is about the minimum

As Kiab says put some concrete down as it will be about the same price, look and last better and would add some value. Assuming the space is 5m x 3m and you want a 100mm thickness, you will need about 1.5 cubic metres about £200.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:):)

Forgot link.

Quite a few volumetric concrete firms around the UK.

https://mixamate.co.uk/about/

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Spend a few bob and make it the house to want in the street do as KIAB had suggested, later if you want to improve the parking area further it can have paving slabs laid over or a Tarmac finish.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would even render that retaining wall, could easily pour a concrete coping as well,(cheaper than buy copings) when laying concrete slab.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Astramax likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And offer to paint the neighbours garage walls either side to brighten them up.

KIAB likes this.
  10. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

I was reading this tread and thought,.... why hasn't Ramjam258 replied & commented on the reply's he has received??

Is it because he hasn't turned on Watch Thread??

11. Ramjam258

Ramjam258 New Member

Sorry I have seen all these. Every time I go to reply I get distracted by the little ones or dog and never get back. This time I’m at work and have no distractions .

If I put I go down the concrete path would I need to add drainage of some sort? Or could you slope it ever so slightly to allow for run off.

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Hi Ramjam258. Good to hear from you. :)

Yes concrete the lot, & a gentle slope towards the road.
    Hopefully concreting will hide that awful garage floor edge too.

KIAB likes this.
  13. Ramjam258

Ramjam258 New Member

It’s terrible I know, parking my car in the space I always cringe hoping my mrs doesn’t ding the door on it