How to secure my tools?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Brent Brereton, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Brent Brereton

Brent Brereton New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the van life. I've just got my first van after upgrading from a car and I'm not sure what to do with all my tools over night.

Previously, I stored all my tools in my car. This actually worked really well as I don't think thieves thought to check my small Citroen for tools. However, I know vans are a prime target.

I don't have a garage or anything and I don't have access close to my house to quickly empty all my tools out everyday. And even that would be a pain. I like having all my stuff together so when I'm on a job I know I've not forgot anything.

My father has a unit about 20 minute drive from my house. I've considered making a trolley/workbench with draws to store all my tools. This would require picking up and dropping off everyday which is alot of added time.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I carry a van vault in the back of my van which takes my most expensive tools.
    Only carry what you know you need.
    Mark up all your tools with a permanent marker with your phone number. Make it big and ugly.
    If they want your tools they will have your tools.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And upgrade your van locks to deadlocks,& some fit additional locks to rears doors top & bottom.

Peel & steal use to be popular way to get into vans.

Note your power tools serial numbers,I prefer to engrave tools,power & hand tools,also batteries in several places,especially with power tools, rather than permant marker.

Transits only takes seconds.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Joe the Plumber likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Found it.:)

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Don't leave tools on van over night. Real pain but that's what you have to do unless you have lockup garage or yard with security

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

This is worrying just bought a 16 plate custom

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Peeps don't realise how easy it is to break into the later models,locks are still lousey, it's good to see that firm (not a recomendation) in my link fits contact switch high on side door, & pir to load area, a mate use to use a £10 battery remote pir alarm fitted to bulk head to achieve same thing some years ago.