Gloss for a downstairs loo with no daylight, so it won't go yellow?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by misstee, Oct 10, 2019.

1. misstee

misstee Member

Hi there,

I painted all the gloss in my house a couple of years ago with Leyland Trade Satinwood in Brilliant White, it all still looks great apart from the downstairs loo that has gone yellow. I now realise this is because there is no window in there so it gets no natural light at all.

Am I able to use a waterbased gloss over the top after a bit of a rub down or will I need to make extra preparations?

Also any recommendations for a suitable gloss that won't go yellow would be appreciated. I prefer a Satin finish to a Matt or full Gloss.

Thanks.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha yep, had that exact same problem happen to me with my downstairs loo

You’re right, no natural light yellows the solvent paint even quicker - weird innit

So yes, sand down gloss woodwork to dull the finish and provide a key for new paint

Make any repairs to woodwork - filler, etc, prime any bare sections of timber

Crown Fastflow is a great water based paint, been talked about on here many times

People have their own personal preference when it comes to paint but for a water based paint, this stuff is very good and flows out nicely

If you’ve never painted with water based before, well ...... it take some getting used to

Will need to Undercoat next, again using Crown Fastflow Undercoat then the Satin in same range - 2 coats

A light rub down inbetween coats - P180 then dust down / hoover

Stick to same brand / paint range for best results

Hope all goes well

misstee likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown Fast Flow would not be the best choice as it is a Hybred paint and will yellow although taking a little longer to do so but not so in your situation with no natural light. Your best choice will be Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood and using Zinsser Bullseye 123 in this case as an adhesion primer to provide a suitable surface for the satinwood to stick to. No undercoat is required just two top coats for a superb finish.

misstee likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well I never knew any of that so apologies to the OP if I’ve made a poor paint choice suggestion

In other areas, I’m sure that the Crown Fastflow is a good contender amongst the current water based options

Not saying it’s the ‘best’ but it is good paint

I’m sure Astra will agree on this comment ?

Used the Crown in my loo around 2 years ago, same set up, no natural light. So far it’s looking white

The previous solvent based yellowed incredibly fast and strangely enough, was also Leyland

misstee likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bedec Aqua Advanced High Gloss won't yellow and a top 5 paint that you can pick up easily

misstee likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Been using the bedec satin msp this week. Good stuff.

misstee likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes Dave Fast Flow is a really good paint the catch is in the hype 'stays white longer'. Bedec aqua or MSP would both have a non yellowing finish like the diamond satinwood.

misstee likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The msp is very good. Used it a few weeks back on some fascias and was impressed as it ‘grips’ really well and has excellent opacity...especially for a water based paint.
    Have a decorating job on at the mo which I try and avoid if possible, but filled a void. Victorian house, lots of shabby badly fitted and painted woodwork with all the knots bleeding through. Was going to use crown or Johnstone’s, then remembered the Bedec. Customer wanted satin, so bit of zinsser to block the knots, and 2 coats of msp and looking good. Goes on well and doesn’t sag. Dries in no time so perfect for getting the job done quickly. One of my go to paints now :)

Bought some of these brushes too...on offer at TS. Highly recommended.

https://www.toolstation.com/hamilton-performance-angled-cutting-in-paintbrush/p48119

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    misstee likes this.
  9. misstee

misstee Member

Thanks very much everyone for your replys, I will have a look into the products you've kindly recommended.

10. misstee

misstee Member

Thanks for the recommendation, would a rub down and paint over be enough? or would I need any kind of primer / undercoat before the new gloss? thanks

11. misstee

misstee Member

Thanks for the recommendations. Would a rub down and paint over with the msp be ok or would I need to do primer / undercoat? thanks

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If sound. 180g sand. Wash. Get clean. On with gloss. Unless you think it needs primer

misstee likes this.
  13. misstee

misstee Member

Great, thank you.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

yes, a rub down and clean and off you go. 2 coats should do it.

misstee likes this.
  15. PaddyO

PaddyO New Member

I have any white mixed with 1ml blue per litre at my local trade place - makes it look a little whiter, stops the yellowing, and the blue is completely invisible to the naked eye!

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What is the base paint as if it's an oil base yellowing will still occur?
    Brilliant White is White with blue added within the mix.

17. PaddyO

PaddyO New Member

Any gloss/satin/matt I use, whether Zinsser Allcoat (solvent based is my choice), or whatever your choice of paint. Your Satinwood would be equally "brightened" by the blue.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be totally honest this practice rates as the 'Best waste of time' I have ever heard of.

19. PaddyO

PaddyO New Member

Well, nobody is forcing you to try it - so stick with your satinwood. The OP did want gloss...

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No she didn't want gloss, she preferred a satin finish to gloss, read the post again.