Is there an oil based paint with less gloss than eggshell?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DavidMSmith, Oct 17, 2019.

1. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

We prefer a matt finish on internal woodwork. Have tried Leyland oil based eggshell from yours truly, but it's still too shiny. However, being oil based, it's easy to apply and lay off to a smooth finish.
    Tried Leyland acrylic eggshell. I've found it difficult to apply - laying off is virtually impossible so the surface finish is nowhere near as smooth as an oil based paint. However, it is far less shiny then the oil based equivalent eggshell.
    So how can I get an oil based paint with a flatter finish than eggshell (other than post application sandpapering!), or alternatively is there an acrylic based paint suitable for internal woodwork that lays off easily?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Diamond Eggshell would be a good choice, waterbase paint has a lesser sheen than oilbase by circa 20%. Use Zinsser Bullseye 123 as a primer/undercoat should you go this route.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Flat oil. Johnstones sell

4. aegis legend

aegis legend New Member

astramax responce sounds right

Astramax likes this.
  5. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Many thanks for your inputs - much appreciated! Johnstones flat oil sounds ideal!

6. durrant27

durrant27 New Member

Hi, question about this – how long after applying the oil-based paint must you wait before applying the oil-based primer (or Zinsser), and then the water based paint?

Must you wait for the ob paint to fully cure (circa 30 days) before you can begin covering it with the primer? Must you also sand the ob paint before applying the primer?

we similarly used an oil based paint on our skirtings and they are far to glossy. I know it will take a couple of weeks to lose some of its sheen, but really we want it as matte as possible.

Thanks.

7. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Hi durrant27

I'm the person who raised the original question. A fellow member suggested Johnstone's flat white and I've used this ever since. It really does dry flat - hardly any sheen and easy to apply - keeps a wet edge for far longer than water based paints. Have used successfully on top of Zinsser 123 as primer to stabilise surface as not sure what has been used on woodwork before.

8. durrant27

durrant27 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I’m using a man Crown Trade oil-based eggshell colour matched to a F&B colour on the woodwork.

My question was more around how long after applying the oil based paint you can then apply then primer or Zinsser Bulls Eye and then a water based paint (less sheen). I.e. do you have to wait for it to cure completely.

9. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Sorry - above my pay grade! I'm only DIY.
    Good luck